Opaeula.co.uk

THE forum and online store dedicated to Halocaridina rubra aka the Hawaiian Opae ula shrimp! 

■ Our Opae ula shrimp web store is now open! We are selling Opae ula Shrimp via our eBay store HERE
Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #1891  by caine
 24 Oct 2016 00:27
Do you guys care when the pod population increases and if so, do you have a way to control their numbers? I know they are pretty harmless, but I don't like seeing so many in the aquarium.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
 #1907  by odin
 24 Oct 2016 17:45
Do you have any footage or photos? I know they are TINY but thought I'd ask. I never seem to have many in my tanks? I have a handful that bob around in the light at the surface of my tank but they all disappear for ages then come back?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #1918  by odin
 25 Oct 2016 18:47
Does anybody know what they eat?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #1919  by Wander
 25 Oct 2016 18:49
Wikipedia :
"Copepods feed directly on phytoplankton, catching cells singly. Some of the larger species are predators of their smaller relatives. Many benthic copepods eat organic detritus or the bacteria that grow in it, and their mouth parts are adapted for scraping and biting. Herbivorous copepods, particularly those in rich, cold seas, store up energy from their food as oil droplets while they feed in the spring and summer on plankton blooms. These droplets may take up over half of the volume of their bodies in polar species. Many copepods (e.g., fish lice like the Siphonostomatoida) are parasites, and feed on their host organisms."
odin liked this
 #1920  by caine
 25 Oct 2016 18:58
In my fresh water planted tanks I would just put a couple of fish in to chomp them up, but I didn't see any brackish fish that wouldn't also eat our preciousessssssss.

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
odin liked this