Opaeula.co.uk

THE forum and online store dedicated to Halocaridina rubra aka the Hawaiian Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #1901  by Wander
 24 Oct 2016 14:48
Yes they will! :grin:
Eggs chells are made of calcium.
To prepare just make sure all egg white is off and there is nothing left but the egg shell.
Don't use any kind of soap to clean since that might harm the shrimp.
You could in theory use stuff like soap but make sure EVERY component of whatever you are using is safe for aquatic organisms.

Good luck! :grin: :smile:
Priscilla liked this
 #1902  by caine
 24 Oct 2016 15:20
What are your target pH levels? I have never tested. I just mix up my reef salt and RO water to 1.012

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
 #1903  by Priscilla
 24 Oct 2016 16:12
caine wrote:What are your target pH levels? I have never tested. I just mix up my reef salt and RO water to 1.012

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
I'm looking at about 8.5 and above. Currently, mine is stuck at 7.8 with salinity 1.012 as well. :huh:
I don't have driftwood in my tank that would decrease the pH level.
 #1904  by Priscilla
 24 Oct 2016 16:14
Wander wrote:Yes they will! :grin:
Eggs chells are made of calcium.
To prepare just make sure all egg white is off and there is nothing left but the egg shell.
Don't use any kind of soap to clean since that might harm the shrimp.
You could in theory use stuff like soap but make sure EVERY component of whatever you are using is safe for aquatic organisms.

Good luck! :grin: :smile:
I've added a few 1cm size egg shells into my tank, really hoping it would raise the pH soon!
Hope this doesn't cause any molting problem for my shrimps! :what:
 #1905  by odin
 24 Oct 2016 17:07
caine wrote:What are your target pH levels? I have never tested. I just mix up my reef salt and RO water to 1.012

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
My tanks sit at around 8.2 to 8.4 naturally because of all the ocean rock in my tanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #1926  by Halocaridina
 27 Oct 2016 03:20
I added a small piece of limestone rock hidden at the back of my tank to raise the pH. Right now the pH is just over 8.0.
Last edited by Halocaridina on 27 Oct 2016 03:20, edited 1 time in total.
 #1928  by Priscilla
 27 Oct 2016 06:50
odin wrote:
caine wrote:What are your target pH levels? I have never tested. I just mix up my reef salt and RO water to 1.012

Sent from my ONE E1005 using Tapatalk
My tanks sit at around 8.2 to 8.4 naturally because of all the ocean rock in my tanks.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Are ocean rocks the same as limestone?
How can I tell if I'm looking at one?
 #1929  by Priscilla
 27 Oct 2016 06:52
Halocaridina wrote:I added a small piece of limestone rock hidden at the back of my tank to raise the pH. Right now the pH is just over 8.0.
I see.
How fast does the limestone take to raise the pH?
 #1930  by odin
 27 Oct 2016 06:58
Priscilla wrote:
Halocaridina wrote:I added a small piece of limestone rock hidden at the back of my tank to raise the pH. Right now the pH is just over 8.0.
I see.
How fast does the limestone take to raise the pH?
Yup, ocean rock is limestone and is great for raising the PH, Google ocean rock or Texas holey rock as its the same stuff but just called something different in the US compared to the UK.

I'm not sure on speeds of it raising PH as it depends on your tanks PH already, water volume and the rock size :p


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro