Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #2381  by odin

Never add ammonia with shrimp in the tank, this is very bad for them. There is no point adding ammonia if you are dosing with biodigest as they just cancel each other out lol. Dose ammonia if you have an empty tank and wait till its cycled then add shrimp or just have a tank with shrimp and distilled water and add biodgest to keep the ammonia and nasty away while there are levels present.

Hope that helps, you are wanting zero ammonia and nitrites, with nitrates under 10ppm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #2389  by Priscilla

odin wrote:Never add ammonia with shrimp in the tank, this is very bad for them. There is no point adding ammonia if you are dosing with biodigest as they just cancel each other out lol. Dose ammonia if you have an empty tank and wait till its cycled then add shrimp or just have a tank with shrimp and distilled water and add biodgest to keep the ammonia and nasty away while there are levels present.

Hope that helps, you are wanting zero ammonia and nitrites, with nitrates under 10ppm.

Ah, I think you might have misread my post :ow:
I'm restarting a new tank with no shrimps in it, trying to cycle it w ammonia and biodigest. (Shrimps in a separate jar)
But the problem now is that the biodigest is not reacting to the ammonia at all.
Thats really weird. :what: :what:

I would probably get a new tank and start over :O
 #2393  by odin

Priscilla wrote:
odin wrote:Never add ammonia with shrimp in the tank, this is very bad for them. There is no point adding ammonia if you are dosing with biodigest as they just cancel each other out lol. Dose ammonia if you have an empty tank and wait till its cycled then add shrimp or just have a tank with shrimp and distilled water and add biodgest to keep the ammonia and nasty away while there are levels present.

I'm restarting a new tank with no shrimps in it, trying to cycle it w ammonia and biodigest. (Shrimps in a separate jar)
But the problem now is that the biodigest is not reacting to the ammonia at all.

Ahhh sorry if i missed something, my mistake! If i were you i would either have ammonia in a tank to cycle it on its own or just have a tank setup with shrimps in it and add biodigest to keep the water healthy for the shrimp while its cycling. Mixing the 2 sort of defeats the object a bit really. Im glad the shrimp are doing well! What PPM are you dosing up too with the ammonia?
Last edited by odin on 09 Dec 2016 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
 #2398  by Priscilla

odin wrote:
Priscilla wrote:

Ahhh sorry if i missed something, my mistake! If i were you i would either have ammonia in a tank to cycle it on its own or just have a tank setup with shrimps in it and add biodigest to keep the water healthy for the shrimp while its cycling. Mixing the 2 sort of defeats the object a bit really. Im glad the shrimp are doing well! What PPM are you dosing up too with the ammonia?
Oh alright! I might just clear all the water and add the shrimps and biod in.
I added about 0.75-1ppm into my tank yesterday.
 #2399  by odin

Sounds like a plan :wink:
 #2582  by odin

Any updates on this @Priscilla ? Did everything turn out ok?
 #2701  by Priscilla

odin wrote:Any updates on this @Priscilla ? Did everything turn out ok?
Hi Odin! Sorry for the late reply! Bought another tank and did everything again. Turned out fine and now one of them seemed like it's gna have eggs soon?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #2703  by odin

That's great news, if you need anything let us know :)