Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #2302  by Priscilla

Hey guys,

I need help
Last night, my brother was helping me get rid of a grasshopper in my room and he sprayed insecticide.

I believe some of it got into the tank. Because morning I found almost all of them lifeless and just scattered everywhere.

Quickly made a new tank with new water and scooped them up. An hour ago, they were all pale and gathered together like a ball.

Now they are just roaming everywhere and still look kinda weak. What can I do for them? Are they all gna die? :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #2303  by opae ula related

Never spray inside the house! From lifeless to roaming around sounds like they are improving. What you did but was the best thing. When you scooped them up, there might have been some left over pesticide so partial water changes would be ideal.
 #2304  by Priscilla

opae ula related wrote:Never spray inside the house! From lifeless to roaming around sounds like they are improving. What you did but was the best thing. When you scooped them up, there might have been some left over pesticide so partial water changes would be ideal.
We just want to get rid of the grasshopper Image

I hope they'll survive. Can't believe they went through a whole night in the tank.

Now they are in a smaller tank, im planning to wash everything in the old tank and put them back after some time.

#2305  by odin

Ahhh this happens a lot more to keepers then you hear about so don't feel bad, the only thing you can do is water changes and a good few of them. As you have made a whole new tank then it should all be free of contaminates, you could buy some seachem purigen and a bag and this will soak up anything nasty. If you have caught the shrimp at the right time they should be OK and survive. They tend to die pretty fast if it's bad.

Let us know how you get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #2307  by Priscilla

odin wrote:Ahhh this happens a lot more to keepers then you hear about so don't feel bad, the only thing you can do is water changes and a good few of them. As you have made a whole new tank then it should all be free of contaminates, you could buy some seachem purigen and a bag and this will soak up anything nasty. If you have caught the shrimp at the right time they should be OK and survive. They tend to die pretty fast if it's bad.

Let us know how you get on.

Alright, I'm gna observe then for awhile. Sigh, I guess the water in the previous tank was quite bad since they were lying on their sides and motionless. Image

I'll look out for that product later when I get out.

#2308  by odin

You need a bag or mesh bag for it as you need to remove it after while, like a sponge the balls get filled up and need replacing etc. If they don't pick up do another small water change.

#2309  by Priscilla

odin wrote:You need a bag or mesh bag for it as you need to remove it after while, like a sponge the balls get filled up and need replacing etc. If they don't pick up do another small water change.

Alright, thanks for the advice Odin.

#2310  by Ann

Oh, so sorry to read this. They are strong little guys. They just might be okay soon.
Ann
 #2312  by Bat

Unfortunately it's a common problem, especially in summer.

Last august wife's friend sprayed insecticide against mosquitos at home. Consequence: 300 shrimps died, including CBS and CRS.

Good news: halocaridina seems to be stronger than other shrimps. Go ahead and good luck. Spray indoor never, not only dangereous for shrimp. No rain inside our home, insecticide remain and contamine clothes, towels and furniture.