Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #2938  by Suisho

Hi, i love this forums of sharing and nice people here to share information.

I have some problem with my tank. I have 3 tanks.
1st tank with 100 shrimps( 33cm long tank)
Only start breeding after 2 years, now with 40 baby shrimps 2nd tank with 20 shrimps (15 cm long tank) 3rd tank with 6 shrimps (20 x 20 tank)
Doesn't breed. Picture of 2nd and 3rd tank i just added more coral loose stone last week

Feed with spirulina powder once a week.
SG 1.010
12 hours light
No filter
Distilled water
Water change 1year ago
Temperature 28-30 degree

I tested the water for 1st tanks
No3 - 0.25
No2 - 0.2
Ph - 8

2nd and 3rd tank

No3 - 0
No2 - 0
pH - 8

After reading from someof the topic here, i am think is it my 2nd and 3rd lack of good bacterial? Should i buy biodigest to add in?
I have intention to transfer all baby shrimps to my 3rd tank.

Please advise me. :blush:

Perhaps my bad photo skill. :sad2:

Thank you
Attachments:
2nd tank with 20 shrimps
2nd tank with 20 shrimps
20170327_114514.jpg (388.13 KiB) Viewed 9065 times
3rd tank with 6 shrimps
3rd tank with 6 shrimps
20170327_114629.jpg (355.69 KiB) Viewed 9066 times
1st tank with 100 shrimps
1st tank with 100 shrimps
20170327_114817.jpg (402.48 KiB) Viewed 9066 times
Last edited by Suisho on 01 Apr 2017 06:15, edited 2 times in total.
 #2939  by Suisho

Initially 2nd and 3rd is without coral stones. I just added not long ago.

1st tank were setup with coral stones and now with full green algae.
 #2941  by odin

From looking i would say top the water up to the top of your tank because i think your tank is overcrowded and this will give them more space. Before i upgraded my tank size breeding slowed down a HUGE amount. You shouldn't have any nitrite readings too so something is wrong there.
 #2942  by Suisho

Should i transfer some shrimp out from the 1st tank to other tank?

I am not sure why the 2nd tank not breeding?
Last edited by Suisho on 01 Apr 2017 10:02, edited 1 time in total.
 #2943  by odin

I would first just top off the tank to the top with some more brackish water and tackle the Nitrite issue, you could try and dose some biodigest and after a day or 2 retest the water parameters.
 #2944  by opae ula related

Nice tanks! Just confirming your Castle and Pagoda ornaments is made for aquariums? If you just added coral rocks and previously had no hiding spaces, give it some patience along with Odin's advice.
 #2945  by fredanddino

odin wrote:From looking i would say top the water up to the top of your tank because i think your tank is overcrowded
100 shrimp in a 33cm tank is crowded? how many litres is it anyway? I think, looking at the photo, about 7 liters?

My tank was a 50l tank and I counted them as I transfered them last week - it were about 800 shrimp. Could this have been a/the problem?

How can anyone know, how many shrimp are inside, unless there happens a catastrophy like mine? I thought, they would breed as Long as there is enough space and then stop alone. but maybe I was wrong, since there was always food.
 #2946  by fredanddino

I found a care sheet many years ago, there it says:

"Volume of water to shrimp Ratio 30 - 50 shrimp/ Liter with slight aeration"

what do you think about that?
If I take this for true, then I could have twice as much shrimp in the tank (and more..)
Last edited by fredanddino on 01 Apr 2017 13:21, edited 1 time in total.
 #2947  by fredanddino

Suisho wrote:Water change 1year ago
Temperature 28-30 degree

I am not sure, if am qualified to give any advice, but my tank was running since 2010 until I had a problem last week.
but I always did small water changes and afterwards you can see, that the shrimp mold and after that, there should be mating / breeding.

also I think the temperature is maybe a little too high.
 #2949  by odin

fredanddino wrote:
odin wrote:From looking i would say top the water up to the top of your tank because i think your tank is overcrowded
100 shrimp in a 33cm tank is crowded? how many litres is it anyway? I think, looking at the photo, about 7 liters?

My tank was a 50l tank and I counted them as I transfered them last week - it were about 800 shrimp. Could this have been a/the problem?

How can anyone know, how many shrimp are inside, unless there happens a catastrophy like mine? I thought, they would breed as Long as there is enough space and then stop alone. but maybe I was wrong, since there was always food.
a 30x30x30 cube holds around 30litres of water if i recall, I used to have a 76litre tank and i added 300 shrimp, they bred very slowly maybe 1 berried every 4 months or so. I upgraded that tank to 140litres and i have at least 4 or 5 berried constantly.
fredanddino wrote:I found a care sheet many years ago, there it says:

"Volume of water to shrimp Ratio 30 - 50 shrimp/ Liter with slight aeration"

what do you think about that?
If I take this for true, then I could have twice as much shrimp in the tank (and more..)
Where did you read this information? 50 shrimps in a litre would build up very high levels of nitrates very quickly.
fredanddino wrote:
Suisho wrote:Water change 1year ago
Temperature 28-30 degree

I am not sure, if am qualified to give any advice, but my tank was running since 2010 until I had a problem last week.
but I always did small water changes and afterwards you can see, that the shrimp mold and after that, there should be mating / breeding.

also I think the temperature is maybe a little too high.
I agree, ive had great success at 25deg C