Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #2952  by fredanddino

The Information is from 2010, I found it on .www.ecosaqua.com, but this website doesn't work any more. I saved it. when I have more time, I will search the web, if I find it again.
Here is the whole Information:

-snip- as requested by poster.
Last edited by odin on 01 Apr 2017 18:40, edited 1 time in total.
 #2953  by odin

Please dont follow that information, no shrimp should be kept in water that contains Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates should be very low (less the 10ppm) SG should be 1.008 up to around 1.015. If you have a small tank and lots of shrimp they will produce high levels of waste and cause the water to foul... this means you wont get breeding if you have poor water quality. Sure the shrimp may survive as they are hardy but that is all.
 #2954  by Suisho

I am staying in Singapore. That's the average temperature here. :dead:

I have top up 1.5 litres of water. And the reading for No3 & No2 is the same.

My tank is about 12 litres.
Last edited by Suisho on 01 Apr 2017 15:44, edited 1 time in total.
 #2955  by Suisho

opae ula related wrote:Nice tanks! Just confirming your Castle and Pagoda ornaments is made for aquariums? If you just added coral rocks and previously had no hiding spaces, give it some patience along with Odin's advice.
Yes. Those castle and pagoda are for aquariums.
Previously i added those garden stones. But i removed them as i find the shrimps not happy (red) and the water quality seem weird compare to my 1st tank.
So i decided to change both to the same as 1st tank.

I am not sure how long will it take for the tank will fully cycle as 1st tank to be able to breed. :cry:
 #2956  by odin

If you take some of the water out of the cycled tank and put it into the other tanks it will speed up the cycling progress :wink:
 #2958  by odin

fredanddino wrote:
odin wrote:Please dont follow that information
so maybe it would be better to remove this wrong information from here?

Sure, you can edit etc :tongue:
 #2960  by odin

Suisho wrote:I think i will order biodigest, and let you know the result again.
:innocent:
It works well but i wouldn't rely on it as a 'for ever fix' i would try and get some macro algae or similar to suck up some of those excess nitrates. In a normal fresh water shrimp tank you would have filters and media to help reduce the nitrates in a fully cycled tank and to help you do water changes but in an Opae ula tank you dont use any of this so its important to keep the Nitrates low by feeding very infrequently and not over populating the tank unless the algae/plants can remove it for you.
 #2968  by Suisho

odin wrote:
Suisho wrote:I think i will order biodigest, and let you know the result again.
:innocent:
It works well but i wouldn't rely on it as a 'for ever fix' i would try and get some macro algae or similar to suck up some of those excess nitrates. In a normal fresh water shrimp tank you would have filters and media to help reduce the nitrates in a fully cycled tank and to help you do water changes but in an Opae ula tank you dont use any of this so its important to keep the Nitrates low by feeding very infrequently and not over populating the tank unless the algae/plants can remove it for you.
Algae plant? Mossball able to reduce nitrates? I not sure here sell Chaetomorpha but definitely i saw mossball in local shop.