Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #3487  by Suisho

3rd tank and started with 80 babies shrimps
I think this tank is about 3 month old as i use full cycle water and reuse coral. Top up with biodigest for 1st month and stopped after 3 vial. The water have stable, i could see shrimps swimming around. Even juvenile shimps.

But i don't understand why they are mostly crystal clear? :sad2:

Attachments:
iZ8asBJ.jpg
iZ8asBJ.jpg (177.86 KiB) Viewed 8896 times
qRNqxiK.jpg
qRNqxiK.jpg (246.8 KiB) Viewed 8896 times
Last edited by Suisho on 30 Jun 2017 16:27, edited 1 time in total.
 #3490  by odin

Suisho wrote:My 2nd tank started to breed.. :smile:
(20 shrimps and 2 berries)

That it great news! Im very happy for you that you are getting good breeding now. :wink:
Suisho wrote:3rd tank and started with 80 babies shrimps
I think this tank is about 3 month old as i use full cycle water and reuse coral. Top up with biodigest for 1st month and stopped after 3 vial. The water have stable, i could see shrimps swimming around. Even juvenile shimps.

But i don't understand why they are mostly crystal clear? :sad2:

Did you see how red these shrimp were before you added them to the tank, were they red in the bag etc? Also you could test your water parameters for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates as this will help find the issue.
Attachments:
iZ8asBJ.jpg
iZ8asBJ.jpg (177.86 KiB) Viewed 8895 times
qRNqxiK.jpg
qRNqxiK.jpg (246.8 KiB) Viewed 8895 times
UaK5O9A.jpg
UaK5O9A.jpg (170.88 KiB) Viewed 8895 times
 #3492  by Suisho

They are from larvae stage till juvenile. I transfer them from my 1st tank .

Tested the water. The parameters is good.
 #3493  by Suisho

Could it be there isn't enough algae?
As you can see only the coral with little algae. The wall of the tank not cover with algae.
 #3494  by odin

Maybe this is their natural colour or shade of red, i have some clear ones, some pink one all the way up to deep red. Some even have a clear band which they must of had passed on from one of their parents.
 #3496  by opae ula related

If it isn't from stress that they are white/clear it could their natural color depending on where they are from. Per Hawaiian Anchialine Pools book, clear/white/clear band are mostly Opae Ula from the Island of Oahu. No such thing as lower grade shrimp imo.
 #3497  by Suisho

How will I know whethet are they stress?
There are a few in red but mostly in clear.
Will it because they are still juvenile and the red is not obvious?
 #3498  by opae ula related

Odin mentioned water parameter, so something too high or too low can cause stress or something not belonging in the water like bug spray or hair spray for example. Even loud noise or glass banging can cause it. Large water change or adding something that can cause large swing in pH or hardness. I assume they don't have tank mates that can bother them. Temp is constant?
 #3499  by opae ula related

Also noticed that you don't have a gravel bed, remember beneficial bacterial colonies live in a gravel bed and they help eliminate waste, leftover food and plant debris. Since most Opae Ula tanks don't have a filter so....

Some tanks do fine without a gravel bed and some would say it isn't necessary if they control the food amounts with frequent water changes, but Opae Ula still poop :lol: Also the beneficial bacterial will live on your rocks and it might be enough.
Last edited by opae ula related on 06 Jul 2017 00:27, edited 1 time in total.