Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #3239  by odin

I've been looking at these to catch the Opae ula larvae for easy transportation to another tank but i was thinking that it would also snag the adults lol, what do others think?

http://www.lightning-maroon-clownfish.com/?p=3401
 #3243  by AdeDunn

I've never had one of these, however so long as the mesh is small enough so adults can't fit through then the suction created by the air lift shouldn't be enough to pull larger shrimp through, much like an air driven sponge filter is so gentle shrimp can walk around on them and dine. That's my thinking anyway. The question I'd have would be if it would actually work. Or am I missing something? The camera angle aren't fantastic there, it could be it's skimming from the surface?
 #3244  by odin

The filter in the centre is the exit for the water pushed up and inwards, it follows this water flow pattern:

mKGtvbl.jpg
mKGtvbl.jpg (15.17 KiB) Viewed 12155 times

I guess if the adults just swim up they could probably just swim back out as there isnt anything to stop them entering in or out.

Here's a slightly different design:

tKVGybd.jpg
tKVGybd.jpg (67.76 KiB) Viewed 12155 times
4MhzfGE.jpg
4MhzfGE.jpg (71.96 KiB) Viewed 12155 times
 #3247  by AdeDunn

Yeah, I'd agree that adults should be strong enough swimmers to swim against the current from the air lift.
 #3362  by Vorteil

Refresh my memory on why you want to go through these lengths to separate the larvae? Turkey baster is probably the easiest. I think there will be a point when you'll have too many in you main established tank to do this to.
 #3363  by odin

What I do is have a main breeding tank where all my adults live in a fully scaped tank with lots of lavarock substrate which seems to keep them happy and they seem to be reproducing pretty well. The issue is when the larvae turn into fully fledged shrimps they tend to hide and are difficult to catch. I'm going to be selling these new shrimp on my eBay store and I will need them to be easy to catch and readily available to net out. I also don't want to upset the main tank too much or accidental catch and sell any of my adults so this method of moving the larvae over to my larvae tank fixes all of this issues.
 #4828  by ShrimpyShrimp

Odin, did you ever try this trap. I am also interested in determining the best way to harvest the larvae and transferring them to a rearing tank.
 #4831  by odin

I didn't buy it yet, i've had success with a glass shrimp catcher catching and transferring the larvae from tank to tank.
 #4834  by odin

exactly like that! You can suck them into it if you release your finger from the end when it is in the water and produces a small vacuum.