Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #338  by Ann

Odin,
Do you use just plain black sand?
Ann
 #339  by odin

Hey Ann,
I use Caribsea Super Natural Black Sand, think its called Caribsea caribsea tahitian moon sand over there, its inert so doesn't affect PH so you will need ocean rock/ Texas holey rock to take care of that bit with it. It can be used with marine or freshwater setup so its safe to use in an Opae ula tank. :smile:
 #340  by Ann

Great! I'm familiar with the Moonsand and plan to use the Ocean Rocks .
Thanks again,
Ann :grin2:
 #341  by odin

No problem, it says its pre washed but id give it another good rinse in a bucket with RO water or which ever source you pick to use in the tank. Pour in your sand and fill half the bucket with water (not tap water) and give it a good swirl and let the sand settle then pour off the scummy dirt that is floating on the surface.

Hope that helps.
 #344  by Ann

It does help. I don't want to make any silly mistakes. Education is the key and you are providing that. It's almost scary that these lovely animals live in a small environment,
and a mistake could be deadly for them.
Ann
 #358  by odin

Yup, it also makes all the sand and dust settle faster when your water is introduced to the tank, you will get a small sachet of 'water clearer' in with the sand which I didn't use and haven't read any information about so it may be worth avoiding unless you find its shrimp safe online etc. Your water will be nice and clear from the waiting period of putting the tank together and adding shrimp so its a non issue really. :happy:
 #869  by Ann

Does gravel have to be placed on top of the sand or could sand be the only substrate?
Thanks,
Ann
 #870  by odin

You may use either on their own, if you mix sand on top of gravel it will make its way through and mix in with all the gravel and you won't really see it, I'd pick one and stay with it if I were you :sidesmile:
 #871  by odin

You can even get away with having none! Or just a good sprinkle of either on one half of the tanks base, I was tempted to have a glass bottom setup at one point.
 #872  by Ann

Thank you, Odin. I can always count on you for a great answer. Unfortunately, my little Syrian hamster passed on. This has opened up space for the tank. I am in the process of starting to order. I might ask a few more questions, hopefully, no repeats.
Thanks again,
Ann