Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #408  by Ann

I love the fact that it is not necessary to change the water of their tank, but why is this possible? Is their bioload so low that no waste is present long enough to cause a problem?
Ann
 #410  by odin

Hey Ann, the only reason for water changes is to remove the build up of Nitrates which you probably already know but the shrimp produce so little waste that the minute bio-load gets turned from Ammonia into Nitrates which is just enough to feed the algae in your tank (which removes it) resulting in no water changes needed. Its a fine balance to get it just right, you can throw it all off by over feeding or having something dying in the tank... shrimp, snails and other organic matter that may of come in on your rocks etc. That is why its important to always test your water and if something is off just take out a bit of water and replace it with fresh brackish water.

Hope that helps.
 #411  by Ann

Thank you, Odin. It's almost too good to be true, but I'm glad that it is. Would a filter upset this balance? You don't use filters, do you?
Ann
 #412  by odin

I used a filter at first because i've always used them with my freshwater shrimps prior and old habits die hard but after a while i removed it from the Opae ula tank. They are all quite happy and healthy without it and the water doesn't smell or anything like you would expect stagnant water to produce, maybe its all the salt in it :happy:

One thing i didn't think about was if a good majority of your beneficial bacteria grows in and on the filter and you then remove it later you are going to be removing a lot of the bacteria in one go, it seems strange but it really works fine without.
 #416  by Ann

Yes, I was thinking about that. I've read that a sponge filter should never totally be cleaned because of the beneficial bacteria. I think I'll do without. You can't argue with success.
Ann
 #424  by odin

I agree but you can always add one later if you wish, failing that you could have an 'airstone' and air pump which will blow up bubbles from where ever you position the airstone to move water around.