Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #114  by odin

How are your shrimp doing with the new buffered water? If all is well i will add it to the list of safe additives to use on the main page :)
 #116  by Kanuha

Hi again!

Shrimp doing very well am pleased to say. The PH crashes were sorted shortly after I got the marine buffer, but for all that I'd highly recommend it for emergencies and the shrimp certainly didnt mind it in their tank)

On yet another salvo to my LFS for more RO, when I told them I was tearing my hair out with these PH crashes, the guy there told me I needed their added minerals (its one scoop per 25ltr) and this totally did the trick - my PH has been stable at 8 from there on in, but like I say, the Seachem is well handy (albiet a bit pricey) for any PH plunges whilst you sort out the culprit at least!

Tank is now cycling properly. We had a ammonia of over .25 then Nitrite of 1.00 a few days later - have now got my backup plastic tank of RO (the cheapo heater I got with the tank but sidelined has come into its own now, as I can do water changes with next to no hardship to the shrimp with heated clean water)

Lastly, I treated them to a Fluval prism and this they really like as its got all diff colours that can be subdued greatly and the green/moonlight blue on very low must be simulate quite well their native pond habitat? they are all moulting well and feeding on the shrimplab algae & spirulina for treat (I cut tiny bits off algae flake to feed as I only have my few Opaes )

Am SO proud of these little shrimp! :)
 #117  by odin

That sounds like a great setup, the annoying water changes will soon be over too. It's a bit of a chore doing so many but it's well worth getting it correct first time around. If things start to go wrong and you end up loosing shrimp it can leave you pulling your hair out :D

I use a remineraliser in my fresh water shrimp tanks called saltishrimp and it seems to do the trick for them, my tap water is pretty soft and acidic. It also keeps the molting stage healthy.
 #164  by Ann

Hi,
My name is Ann. I'm from the United States. Hope that it is okay that I joined. I am new to Opae Ula and am happy to find a nice forum dedicated to them. I hope to learn and one day add to the knowledge of this great Board.
Thank you,
Ann
 #165  by odin

Ann wrote:Hi,
My name is Ann. I'm from the United States. Hope that it is okay that I joined. I am new to Opae Ula and am happy to find a nice forum dedicated to them. I hope to learn and one day add to the knowledge of this great Board.
Thank you,
Ann

Hi Ann, nice of you to join our forum! If you have any questions about anything don't hesitate to put up a post :happy:
 #168  by Ann

That you very much. I will.
Ann
 #260  by odin

opae ula related wrote:
odin wrote:Sounds interesting! I may have to get some this summer :)

Can you put up some photos of your alpha tank setup? Do you use a filter etc?

FullSizeRender (2).jpg

My first tank. They are hiding of course. :cry:

Just a simple tank with no filter.
I wanted to ask, have you ever gotten the alphas to release larvae in your tank? I'm seriously thinking of getting some.
 #264  by Blue

Hello everyone, I'm new to these shrimp so I will probably be asking a lot of questions! Can't wait to get some of them :sidesmile:
 #266  by Ann

Hi, Blue,
I'm new here, too. Odin has amazing knowledge and is extremely helpful. I've learned so much here and Odin is generous with his time and knowledge:!
Ann
 #267  by odin

Welcome to our forum, anything I can help with just ask away.