Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #1599  by Priscilla

Hey guys!

Is there such thing as lighting that is too bright for the opae ula?
15 led and 4.32W :omg:

I recently bought a new tank light, its kinda small but it can light up the entire tank pretty well.
All along I've been sharing my table lamp with my opae, maybe I'm not used to the tank having so much light? :omg:
 #1600  by odin

I don't think it will really matter too much, it may help you grow some algae though! I bought these for 3 of my tanks and it doesn't seem to bother them too much, if they don't like it it may cause them to hide so keep an eye on that. If you don't notice and peculiar behaviour then all should be fine.
 #1608  by Priscilla

odin wrote:I don't think it will really matter too much, it may help you grow some algae though! I bought these for 3 of my tanks and it doesn't seem to bother them too much, if they don't like it it may cause them to hide so keep an eye on that. If you don't notice and peculiar behaviour then all should be fine.
Oh okay! Wow your lights are expensive! Looks simple too!
I haven't notice much difference in their behavior yet! :happy:
But is it normal that they like to hide behind my lava rock and only "take turns" to come out for a swim? :huh:
Last edited by Priscilla on 14 Oct 2016 05:41, edited 1 time in total.
 #1615  by odin

Priscilla wrote:
odin wrote:I don't think it will really matter too much, it may help you grow some algae though! I bought these for 3 of my tanks and it doesn't seem to bother them too much, if they don't like it it may cause them to hide so keep an eye on that. If you don't notice and peculiar behaviour then all should be fine.
But is it normal that they like to hide behind my lava rock and only "take turns" to come out for a swim? :huh:

Yeah they are ridiculous on price, I bought them when Amazon messed up and listed them as £12 for 2 so I bought 4 for £24 :) I don't feel bad haha.

Have they always hidden and take turns coming out? If not then let them get used to the lights and see what happens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #1616  by Priscilla

odin wrote:
Priscilla wrote:

Yeah they are ridiculous on price, I bought them when Amazon messed up and listed them as £12 for 2 so I bought 4 for £24 :) I don't feel bad haha.

Have they always hidden and take turns coming out? If not then let them get used to the lights and see what happens.

Whoa! Nice! You're so lucky! :tongue:

Usually at one time, 8-11 of them would be out digging/picking on things. After I got the light, only about 5, max 8 or sometimes 1 or none. And also, after having the light, the area where they like to hang, small corner behind the lava rock got a bit brighter, not sure if they mind that or if its good for them.

Is this just a matter of them getting used to the light?
Last edited by Priscilla on 14 Oct 2016 07:38, edited 1 time in total.
 #1617  by odin

I would say give it a week or two and if you don't see improvement you can always add something to reduce the brightness in places or block it some.

Last edited by odin on 14 Oct 2016 07:55, edited 1 time in total.
 #1619  by Priscilla

odin wrote:I would say give it a week or two and if you don't see improvement you can always add something to reduce the brightness in places or block it some.

Alright I'll wait it out! Thanks for your advice odin! :smile:
 #1620  by odin

You can get like a thin plastic layer that you use to block sun on windows for your home, lots of company's will send you out free samples of different darkness and ones which let more or less sun light in but it works well for tank lights.

I will try and find some links to show you when I'm back at my PC.

#1622  by odin

Here is the stuff, its window tinting film.

XAGDU2I.jpg
XAGDU2I.jpg (23.53 KiB) Viewed 10007 times

When i asked they sent me like a 30x30cm patch of different strengths, you could do the whole of your lid or just do what i did and cut some out for the bottom of the light. I think the one i picked reduced the light pass through by 30%?

tAsDSr6.jpg
tAsDSr6.jpg (209.03 KiB) Viewed 10007 times
zSfPKLz.jpg
zSfPKLz.jpg (120.69 KiB) Viewed 10007 times
8G5aM3f.jpg
8G5aM3f.jpg (214.73 KiB) Viewed 10007 times

(The tank closer to you has the filter on the LED light.)
Just to give you some ideas if you decide to reduce the brightness, you could always do it the ghetto way and just put some card over half of the lid to make half the tank dark hehe :cool: .
Last edited by odin on 14 Oct 2016 14:06, edited 1 time in total.