Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #1807  by odin

Ask as many questions as you like! That is macro algae in the photo.
 #1809  by odin

@Wander Here's a few old photos i found, you can see the chaeto starting to die.

YEkgd2p.jpg
YEkgd2p.jpg (100.19 KiB) Viewed 8210 times

y6PL6Ob.jpg
y6PL6Ob.jpg (93.07 KiB) Viewed 8210 times
Last edited by odin on 21 Oct 2016 21:19, edited 1 time in total.
 #1811  by odin

When i purchased some snails it introduced hair algae into my tank :angry:
 #1813  by Ann

I feel that questioning is one of the fundamentals of learning. I agree with you about conflicting advice, but I feel that Odin has the best information. He clearly uses experience and common sense throughout. Also, his presentation is clear, concise, outlined in a an organized way. That's why I will look at other sources of information, but follow Odin's.
Ann
 #1816  by opae ula related

odin wrote:Mine didnt but @opae ula related did so you may be better asking him about the Chaeto.
I see my user name. :grin: Yes, I initially had it in the Alpha tank. Found some in this video, you can see some white/light green on the tips.

#1822  by odin

Ok dont panic, i have to ask why are you cleaning your tanks rocks? only ever clean stuff with RO/distilled water to be safe. You wont know if the bacteria died unless your water becomes cloudy in the following days/weeks as this is proof of a bacterial bloom coming back. All i advise to do is buy a water test kit and test for Ammonia/Nitrites/Nitrates and if you get readings of anything over 0 for Ammonia or Nitrites and the shrimps look upset then do a 50% water change to reduce it all down.

You may of got lucky this time but id advise some test strips or a liquid test kit.

Good luck!
 #1824  by odin

No point being worried as its done now :laugh: Next time just buy a nail scrubbing brush like this:

HWqQ1If.jpg
HWqQ1If.jpg (44.62 KiB) Viewed 7815 times

Scrub your stuff in clean RO/distilled (or in your case your water) and the dirt will go, I would buy a snail to keep your tank clean if thats what you want. Having some dirt in the tank shows its healthy though! If the shrimps start to dart around alot and not settle or go pale then i would do some water change with new brackish water.
Last edited by odin on 22 Oct 2016 12:43, edited 2 times in total.
 #1826  by odin

I forgot about that! if you add some of that it will handle most of your issues lol, be sure to check the Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates anyway because you will always be at an advantage to rectify any dangerous situations.
 #1830  by odin

Yup, thats in our tap water! This is why i stress that it shouldn't be used in my guides as we are not all lucky to have un-tainted water sources :smile:
 #1836  by opae ula related

Oh o. Hope it goes well.
I don't usually clean tank rocks since there is beneficial bacteria on them and too difficult to do every so often and I am lazy. =)
Last edited by opae ula related on 22 Oct 2016 16:54, edited 1 time in total.