Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #535  by Ann

I haven't even started thinking about cycling. I'm going to have to go through it very carefully. This is probably the most difficult step. With such a small tank, I'll have to monitor the water closely.
Ann
 #538  by odin

It may take a month or so for any algae to show up in your tank but it can take a bit longer for the tank to become fully cycled, when i used ocean rock in the tanks i got an ammonia reading as something must of been dying off (who knows what) and this started my cycle off. If you dont get any ammonia readings in the first month you can always put in a fish flake or food pellet and let it rott down, this will provide ammonia and start the cycle.

The ammonia will shoot up and next the nitrites will shoot up sending the ammonia down, next the nitrates will start to creep up and the ammonia and nitrite readings will drop to zero, when that happens you should dump your shrimp and snails in strait away. Failing that you can just do small water changes to reduce any nasties if they crop up while you have shrimp and snails in the tank.
 #2115  by Ann

Did I miss this? Thank you, Odin! Great advice!
Ann :smile:
 #2118  by odin

No worries :happy: