Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #2151  by Priscilla

Hi all,

I found another piece of lava rock and I decided that I want to swap it out with the old one.
Currently, I have the new rock washed and boiled and placed in the tank (with old rock) for beneficial bacteria to grow on it. I do not want to suddenly remove a big part of the bb by immediately swapping out.

How long should I leave the new rock in there to be able to safely swap out the old rock?

Oh, and also, glue sold in LFS are safe to use in saltwater tanks right? There's no such thing as different glue for fresh and salt water right?
Last edited by Priscilla on 14 Nov 2016 15:56, edited 1 time in total.
 #2153  by opae ula related

When did you start the cycling process? Pictures? Maybe leave both there.
Yes, glue is for all kinds of tanks.
 #2159  by odin

If you dont want both id leave them in the tank together for a good few weeks at the very least, like @opae ula related says how long do you think it has had a finished cycle for? If you are not sure id wait until you get some algae growth on the new rock before you remove the old one.
 #2165  by Priscilla

Opae ula related, I started the tank on 26th sep, cycled for 1 week+ cuz it's a small tank and I used biodigest to speed up the process.
I'm attaching a picture here.

Odin, my old rock doesn't have any algae on it, it's growing on other places but the rock.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #2168  by opae ula related

Just an idea, break up the old one and fit the pieces into the cylinders for more hiding placed to breed.
 #2169  by Priscilla

opae ula related wrote:Just an idea, break up the old one and fit the pieces into the cylinders for more hiding placed to breed.
Oh okay! But will I not be able to see them at all? Because they like to hide and during the day, it looks like I have an empty tank Image

Or is something wrong in the tank, that's why they're hiding?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
 #2170  by opae ula related

They wan to breed in private without you seeing :laugh: :laugh:

My thinking is that it is still a new tank/environment so it takes time with good water parameters/temperature.
 #2174  by odin

I agree with @opae ula related The more hiding spots the higher the chance of breeding. :laugh:
 #2176  by Priscilla

opae ula related wrote:They wan to breed in private without you seeing :laugh: :laugh:

My thinking is that it is still a new tank/environment so it takes time with good water parameters/temperature.
Oh alright! So I have to stuff like tiny pieces of rocks in the middle of those cylinders right?