Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #2292  by Wojtek

Hi, my name is Wojtek (english pronunciation "Voytec" ) and found this forum very informative and well organized so decided to join and share some pictures of my opae ula tanks. My adventure started while working in Florida where I have kept one tiny tank. After moving back to Poland I got bigger 40 liters aquarium (10 US gallons) and later 55 (15 gallons). I still have very few shrimps in those two after a year. I started with 25 split between two aquariums, but recently breeding has occurred in one and now I'm enjoying a view of a few larvae swimming in water column. This is a photo of my second 55 liters tank.

h1Ag56C.jpg
h1Ag56C.jpg (180.38 KiB) Viewed 8622 times
 #2293  by odin

Welcome to our forum! I'm glad you are finding it useful and hope it helps out in some way. Congratulations on the larvae, I always find it puts a smile on my face when they start breeding as it shows you have their tank setup perfect for them.

That's a lovely tank in your photo, I have just recently added lava rock to my main tank and can't wait to see if it increases any breeding with it being the natural rock surroundings from where they live in the wild. Feel free to add more photos as they are always great to see.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Last edited by odin on 30 Nov 2016 09:57, edited 1 time in total.
 #2294  by Wojtek

Yes, forum is awesome, thanks for putting a lot of effort into it. Back to the rock science, I think lava rock can be useful, but is not necessary to achieve success with breeding. Any pile of rock will do the job, more shelter the better I think. At this moment I have a dozen larvae swimming in my second "Oahu Island style" tank. Almost all rocks surrounding anchaline ponds on this island are made of limestone, ancient coral.
My Opae ula eating locally made sinking pellets :
 #2296  by odin

They sure do like that food pellet :laugh: I agree about the rocks being better when there is a large quantity making caves and hiding spots to increase breeding. Awesome video and very clear.
 #2298  by odin

Wojtek wrote:Thank you! Here is a nice article about anchialine pools restoration efforts on Oahu:
http://smalltalk.staradvertiserblogs.co ... -opae-ula/
LOL i found this quote entertaining ""The `opae ula are extremely hardy, and by monitoring the stability of their population, we can spot any broader problems in the environment. If they are starting to struggle, it could mean we will start to struggle. It's a bit of a canary in a coal mine effect," explains Iwada." :laugh:
 #2300  by opae ula related

Wojtek wrote:Thank you! Here is a nice article about anchialine pools restoration efforts on Oahu:
http://smalltalk.staradvertiserblogs.co ... -opae-ula/

"Interestingly, one out of every ten shrimp sampled for DNA turn out to be from Waianae, and Tagawa was surprised to learn they do not interbreed; they do not hybridize!" - interesting comment. I don't think the book "Hawaiian Anchialine Pool" mentioned this and the comment was after the book was published. The book did mentioned there are 3 different lineages in Oahu.
 #2314  by Wojtek

Welcome Wojtek! :smile:
Nice Tank! Any pictures of your other tanks? Did you make your own food pellet?
No, I don't make my own food pellet, this is a brand I use:
http://www.tropical.pl/produkty/akwarys ... ta-sticks/
Very popular local Polish brand, but I have never seen it anywhere else.
This is a photo of my second 40liter bow front aquarium, with porous limestone rock and some blue gravel that I bought as a kid hah. I love the curved glass feature that acts like magnifying glass.

G2UkwGl.jpg
G2UkwGl.jpg (211.74 KiB) Viewed 8621 times