Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #2340  by opae ula related

A berried mom dropped some eggs when it got startled by another Opae Ula. Saw an Alpha grab one and was able to record an Opae Ula grab one. I guess eggs get eaten too. :upset:

#2343  by odin

Oh dear :dead: The circle of life sucks sometimes! I guess shrimp are not picky eaters.
 #2348  by Wojtek

I wonder if free swimming larvae could also be eaten, every day I see less of them in my tank. Maybe additional high protein food during that time could prevent some loses?
 #2349  by opae ula related

Yes, I hear stories of other owners not seeing free swimming larvae. Either they became post larvae/juvenile and are hiding or too small to see; died of whatever reason and have been eaten by tank mates; eaten by other Opae Ula (I personally never seen); eaten by other tank mates (I have Dwarf Hawaiian Hermit crabs and Alpha Opae Ula and never seen it but doesnt mean it doesnt happen); attacked by a mean Opae Ula and then eaten by others (I think this happens); or just hidden and cant be seen. Some people noticed missing larvae but see juvenile later.

I personally have a separate tank just for larvae and have a higher success rate of survival. Some people have high success rates just leaving it alone.
Last edited by opae ula related on 03 Dec 2016 23:37, edited 1 time in total.
 #2362  by Wojtek

I think that is a really good idea to have a separate tank for the larvae, any predation by the adults can be eliminated. Have you ever observed your free swimming larvae eating anything? Do you move them between tanks the same way like adults on your video?
 #2363  by opae ula related

Or you can have a breeder box. Odin posted one that is nice. I never observed, I think they still survive on the yolk sac and microscopic foods when they wiggle their arms? I use a regular drinking straw.

From this video of mine it seems like they still have a yolk sac.
 #2364  by odin

Yup, from what i have read the larvae use their yolk sac for food while they are swimming vertically.
 #2366  by Wojtek

From this video of mine it seems like they still have a yolk sac.
Awesome camera work! What equipment can get you that close?
Yup, from what i have read the larvae use their yolk sac for food while they are swimming vertically
Good to know, I had a temptation to feed them, no need to pollut the water than :wink: