Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #3015  by AdeDunn

Yeah, the slowest of any plant I have kept (mosses, java fern etc grow quite quickly. Lol). They're not limited by carbon levels in the water column though, so can cut through nitrogen faster. I have been pleasantly surprised with how well my 3 have done as red mangroves are said to prefer brackish or marine water.

I'll try to get a nice pic of them.
 #3058  by AdeDunn

Found somebody selling 25kg sacks of lava rock on Amazon for £19. Would have been rude not too really. :wink:
 #3063  by odin

AdeDunn wrote:Found somebody selling 25kg sacks of lava rock on Amazon for £19. Would have been rude not too really. :wink:
Thats a steal! i just bought some of this that got delivered today http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/fish/deco ... cks/317311

£22 delivered for 3kg with a voucher code.. :blush: :blush: oh well lol.
 #3099  by AdeDunn

Courier delivered the lava rock this morning (all the way from Germany). I wasn't expecting it until the 18th. lol

2 big bags full. Absolutely covered in grey dust. Gave some of it a quick rinse though (I'll give it a scrub and a soak overnight in RO before I used it) and snapped a quick pic. This is less than 1/3rd (if that) from 1 of the 2 bags... :what:
IMG_20170415_174948_DRO.jpg
IMG_20170415_174948_DRO.jpg (715.89 KiB) Viewed 6374 times
 #3100  by odin

Flip what you don't use on eBay or save it for your future Opae ula tanks when you setup more :lol:
 #3103  by AdeDunn

Aye. I'm working on a 60 litre tank for my wife currently too, so will be putting some into that. Will be able to use it in a couple of future tanks too. :grin: Might be making a marine nano at some point too that I can use it in. :wink: Certainly was a cheaper way to buy it though, even if there is a lot of it. lol The con is how dusty it is.

Plus I've always wanted to do a lava scape, with just lave rock and marimo.. Now I can. lol
Last edited by AdeDunn on 15 Apr 2017 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
 #3124  by AdeDunn

Finally got around to adding some rocks. Ended up using all of the ones I'd cleaned and soaked, so I'll have to do another batch for my wife's tank. Still, looks ok I reckon, hoping now there are rocks in there something green may start growing. lol As discussed, I built a nice pile up, with 2 larger ones off to the right.
IMG_20170421_132259_DRO.jpg
IMG_20170421_132259_DRO.jpg (800.57 KiB) Viewed 6336 times
 #3126  by odin

They are going to love that layout, after i changed mine to a setup very similar with rocks the population exploded lol. :grin:
 #3130  by AdeDunn

Thanks bud, hope so. I was actually surprised at how many rocks it took to build in such a tiny tank. lol
 #3142  by AdeDunn

Ordered 30 ampoules of bio-digest. Gonna need something for a couple of other tanks (gotta strip down my 30 litre cube for 1, turns out the sub is leeching minerals pushing up pH, GH and KH....) anyway so took the plunge on your recommendation Odin. Shame you can't use Pure Aquarium balls in brackish, had good results with them before now. lol

Oh and STILL no signs of green in there... Even pushed the lights up to 24 hours a day, but nada. Freshwater tanks the algae has moved in within days.... :oh: Probably a case of nothing with algae spores on it going in there. Might have to chuck some macro algae in there, give it a boost.