Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #3113  by odin

Halocaridina wrote:Yeah, the backup tank does have filtration (and heating).
Just wanted to say because if you say they are going in a brackish tank with no filter/heater/pump etc they will say no to the sale lol.
 #3136  by Halocaridina

I raised the temperature on the heater slightly a few days ago and since then new brown algae has stopped growing on the sides and top of the tank, although what was there before is still there. Some green algae has now started growing between the rocks.
Last edited by Halocaridina on 23 Apr 2017 19:05, edited 1 time in total.
 #3137  by odin

That's interesting, what temperature do you have in the water now?
 #3138  by Halocaridina

It was at about 24 degrees C (75 F). I raised it to 26 degrees C (79 F) because Hawaii sea temperatures tend to be around that.

Also, I think I will purchase some more opae ula further down the line. Whenever I look at my tank these days, it seems there are only 2-3 around. I am sure there are many hiding, but even then I do not think there are more than 12 left. I added 22 in total. You can see in my older photos there used to be large groups gathering together. I think a lot more died off when I had the nutrient spike than I had initially counted as dead, so it would be good to repopulate.
Last edited by Halocaridina on 23 Apr 2017 19:49, edited 1 time in total.
 #3153  by Halocaridina

The green algae between the rocks at the left side of the tank has grown very fast, expanded substantially since I last saw it 6 days ago. It resembles the 'angel hair moss' from this person's video:

I will take a photo later on.
 #3156  by odin

That's good news, id expect some green algae and things growing after this amount of time. Keep us updated on how it progresses over the next few weeks.
 #3161  by odin

Thats cool, now try the snails again :)
 #3162  by Halocaridina

In addition another type of green algae has started growing on the large rock, it appears as small green patches similar to the red patches of the red algae.