Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #3391  by Halocaridina

I didn't do the drip acclimation because my SG seems to have gone down fairly low anyway, around 1.004. Probably a mix of water changes and salt creep. Going to work to bring it back up to around 1.010 over the next week.

Update on the weaker snail: it was moved a short distance. Appears to be outside its shell right now. Here is a picture:

Will keep watching this one closely. If it stops moving for a considerable length of time, will take it out of the tank.

As for the stronger one, I believe it has buried itself within the thread algae so I can't see it at the moment.
This is what the thread algae looks like now:
 #3392  by odin

I'm not seeing the snail out of its shell lol, I'm sure they will both be ok just give them time to acclimatise. Be sure to keep a lid on the tank though as they like to climb out.
 #3394  by Halocaridina

By 'outside its shell' I meant the tentacles were poking out. Sorry, the picture is a little unclear!

Yes, the lid is back on, and it looks like they are too big to get through the gap.

I will check on them again tomorrow. Hopefully they will have moved!
 #3396  by AdeDunn

I have thread algae like that in one of my fresh tanks, the nerites in there don't seem able to manage it though (4 red onion, 2 red) to be honest, it grows faster than they can eat it. lol
 #3397  by Halocaridina

I think the SG drop might have played a part in the fast growth of it. I am hoping raising that will inhibit growth to a point it is more manageable.

I also did nitrate and nitrite tests, both came out 0.
Last edited by Halocaridina on 06 Jun 2017 02:01, edited 1 time in total.
 #3398  by AdeDunn

The biggest factor I have found in it's growth in the one fresh tank I have it in is light period & intensity. The tank it's growing in is lit by a scapers light from Dennerle, an 8,000k 24 watt pll that is too powerful for a low tech use. Unfortunately for Opae you can't really massively reduce light period like I plan to with the fresh, but this seems to have the best effect on stopping the stuff in it's tracks.

Fingers crossed that increasing the SG does the trick for you. Maybe see if you can get hold of some macro algae to compete with it too? The hard part is getting the stuff that survives in brackish conditions, rather than the stuff that dies off.....
 #3399  by odin

I agree, bring up your Salinity to 1.010 to 1.013, 12 hours of light a day maximum and remove as much by hand as you can then try and get some macroalgae that will out compete the hair algae if it's bothering you. This made mine disappear successfully.
 #3400  by Halocaridina

Good news regarding the snails - both have moved substantially, and they seem to have produced excrement. The substrate looks a lot cleaner, I think they went mostly at the diatoms at the bottom first.

The aquarium light is on 10 hours a day currently, but there is also some natural light beyond that time, especially now it is summer. It is a 3W LED so relatively mild.

I have removed some of the thread algae by hand (tried to be careful in removing it just in case there were shrimp inside) but I think it has released spores because there is some stuck at the back, growing off the rocks, and even growing down off the water surface.

I had some Chaetomorpha linum in the tank before and it lasted several months, but it started having problems once the brown algae totally coated it. However, I do have some left tied at the back and also some tiny fragments that have attached themselves to rocks. See below:
 #3404  by odin

Interesting, what SG does the chaeto usually live in?