Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Share photos/videos, journals and logs for your Opae ula tank setups for others to read.
 #3420  by odin

Looking good! :wink:
 #3468  by Halocaridina

The snails are doing a good job on the taller rock, but aren't touching the other big rock very much. Hopefully they will get to it once the taller rock is clear. Tank is now cluttered with snail poop so I have ordered a fine-gravel safe vacuum that should arrive today. I also added some more chaeto and finally tied up the chaeto wall at the back. I added some more water but now the tank is dripping due to capillary action. Hopefully the water level drops fast (can't remove the lid now to speed it up because of the snails) so I can clean up the salt creep.

Going to do a nitrate test tomorrow. If it turns out okay I will look into ordering some more opae ula. Pacmed and Shrimpmart seem to have disappeared so might try Garnelen Tom.
 #3470  by odin

Looks like they are making good progress on the gunk in your tank!
 #3506  by Halocaridina

Today I did some more gravel vacuuming and a 40% water change. I also dosed a BioDigest ampoule and 2 drops of Fluval Sea Iodine.
ShrimpMart wrote:ShrimpMart is back up and running! After a series of hurricanes that disrupted our ponds, we had to check out for a while. But we are back in the game! Check us out again on http://shrimpmart.bigcartel.com/
:smile:
Thank you for the reply - I will order soon!
Last edited by Halocaridina on 08 Jul 2017 15:18, edited 1 time in total.
 #3507  by odin

Are the snails still eating all the algae?
 #3510  by Halocaridina

There is still a large clump of brown algae on the top of both rocks that they do not seem to be interested in. The water has also clouded up again with some sort of algae or bacteria. I thought it was just the glass that was cloudy at first but then I used the algae scraper and it seemed like there was nothing on there, so the snails have at least done their job on the glass. I will take some photos and do another water test tomorrow.
 #3521  by Halocaridina

Every time I do water tests I get 0 for ammonia, nitrites or nitrates. I think I will get another test kit, because this just does not sound right given how cloudy my aquarium looks (it looks as if it is still cycling). Also, the bottled water I use has 5mg/L nitrate on the side of the bottle, which should show up on the test, but it does not.

I have read this problem could be caused by phosphates or silicates instead of nitrates, in which case I may need to switch to using RO or distilled water.

Also, one of the nerites has been sitting in the same place in the corner of the tank, half below the water surface, half above, for 3 days. I hope it is alright!
Last edited by Halocaridina on 18 Jul 2017 14:22, edited 2 times in total.