Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #668  by opae ula related

Learned that Opae Ula from the Big Island and Maui are mostly red and the ones from Oahu are pink to clear with some that are slightly yellow or orange. Some are pink and clear that are banded with red and clear. Very little opae ula from Oahu are red and some are totally white. Interesting fact.
 #673  by odin

Ahhh ok that makes sense, I've seen a video of Opae ula being recorded and they all had a stripe on their back. Must be because of where they are from rather then an odd chance of passing on their markings to their offspring.
 #3524  by Vorteil

I've read that in the book Hawaiian Anchialine Pools: Windows to a Hidden World. All my Opae are all different colors from different breeders. One question I have is do the Opae interbreed?
 #3525  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:I've read that in the book Hawaiian Anchialine Pools: Windows to a Hidden World. All my Opae are all different colors from different breeders. One question I have is do the Opae interbreed?
Look at post #2300

by opae ula related
30 Nov 2016 23:22
Wojtek wrote:
Thank you! Here is a nice article about anchialine pools restoration efforts on Oahu:
http://smalltalk.staradvertiserblogs.co ... -opae-ula/

"Interestingly, one out of every ten shrimp sampled for DNA turn out to be from Waianae, and Tagawa was surprised to learn they do not interbreed; they do not hybridize!" - interesting comment. I don't think the book "Hawaiian Anchialine Pool" mentioned this and the comment was after the book was published. The book did mentioned there are 3 different lineages in Oahu
 #3526  by Vorteil

This is interesting. I purchased my Opae from 4 different breeders to keep them from interbreeding. Mixed them all up. Now it comes to my attention that this was not the way to go.
 #3527  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:This is interesting. I purchased my Opae from 4 different breeders to keep them from interbreeding. Mixed them all up. Now it comes to my attention that this was not the way to go.
Depends on what you are trying to do.

Most Opae Ula sold are from the Kona area (quoted from a video seminar on the big island), so high probability that they are the same lineage.
 #3531  by odin

opae ula related wrote:
Vorteil wrote:I've read that in the book Hawaiian Anchialine Pools: Windows to a Hidden World. All my Opae are all different colors from different breeders. One question I have is do the Opae interbreed?
Look at post #2300

by opae ula related
30 Nov 2016 23:22
Wojtek wrote:
Thank you! Here is a nice article about anchialine pools restoration efforts on Oahu:
http://smalltalk.staradvertiserblogs.co ... -opae-ula/

"Interestingly, one out of every ten shrimp sampled for DNA turn out to be from Waianae, and Tagawa was surprised to learn they do not interbreed; they do not hybridize!" - interesting comment. I don't think the book "Hawaiian Anchialine Pool" mentioned this and the comment was after the book was published. The book did mentioned there are 3 different lineages in Oahu
Your link didn't work unfortunately, was this the one? http://smalltalk.staradvertiserblogs.co ... -opae-ula/