Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #2964  by odin

Just a quick update, I've had many berried females but absolutely zero larvae and i am still feeding them around 5 to 10 fish flakes every Sunday evening for food. I've noticed a lot of green algae and biofilm growing which is more the likely from the food and waste so I've decided to put in some more macro algae to suck up all the nutrients/nitrates. I put a ball in this tank when i first set it up and after a few days/week the whole ball had vanished! It didn't break up and I had no snails in the tank at the time so I want to see if the same thing happens again this time (maybe the shrimp are eating it). I have wedged it up in the thermometer away from the bottom of the tank to try and keep it away from the Alpha Opae ula's.

Here's the green algae and the macro algae.

Last edited by odin on 02 Apr 2017 13:49, edited 1 time in total.
 #3119  by odin

Spotted some alphas eating the thick layer of algae on the surface of the water tonight which is a first, ive always read they dont eat algae but now i know they do! I fed the tank some fish flake and shot a quick video:

Edit: Heres the algae eating Alpha, its short.. out of focus and awful quality but you get the idea :grin3:

Last edited by odin on 18 Apr 2017 21:47, edited 1 time in total.
 #3587  by odin

These guys have been moved to a smaller tank to give their old tank to a new Opae ula larvae tank:

They seem to be doing well and i have not noticed any dead ones, they had new substrate so i have moved a bag of super mature substrate in a mesh bag into their tank to help cycle the tank faster.
Last edited by odin on 26 Jul 2017 11:38, edited 1 time in total.
 #3664  by odin

Beano wrote:Hi Odin,

You tank looks great :). Were you able to breed M. lohena larvae in your tank?
Thanks friend! I have never seen any larvae floating and i didn't get around to trying out a seperate marine strength/salinity tank for the berried female to live in. I'm not sure if the eggs get aborted or the larvae get released and perish the same day?

I need more space for more tanks :lol: :happy:
 #3665  by Beano

Haha...I guess you'd need them if you got a opaeula population explosion. I just started on rearing them with 3 shrimp small micro tank bought from a local fish shop. But I noticed one had eggs under her stomach so I am preparing a bigger tank using the guide on this website.

I saw the lohena sold in the shop and it looks bigger...a pity nobody seems to have successfully breed them in captivity
 #3666  by odin

@Beano I noticed the Opae ula shrimp bred like crazy after upgrading my tank to a larger size. If you transport over all of the old tank into the new one and make up some brackish water and let that water sit for a day or so then add it into the new tank you wont get any issues.