Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #3687  by Beano

My berried shrimp released her larvae :smile: But she is located in a very small tank originally containing 3 shrimp. There are 12 larvae so it's gonna be crowded. should I let the larvae grow before transferring? If so, how many days before I make the transfer?
 #3688  by odin

That's great news and congratulations! what size is your tank? how many liters/gallons? Do you have any photos of it? :grin:
 #3696  by Beano

It's a small "gift tank" which is maybe 500-750ml in size.

Added in 3 minutes 33 seconds:
I thought I uploaded a photo with my prior message but didn't seem to turn up in the thread?
 #3697  by odin

Did you press the 'insert into thread' button after uploading it?

The tank will be fine, when they outgrow the space you have breeding will slow down or stop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #3698  by Beano

Should I Use the "add files" button?

Added in 40 seconds:
That's weird. Now it appears but sideways. Haha.
Attachments:
IMG_2436.JPG
IMG_2436.JPG (243.47 KiB) Viewed 7953 times
 #3700  by odin

Very cute little tank indeed, keep an eye on the larvae and of all goes well I wouldn't worry about water conditions from being over stocked.

#3701  by Beano

Ok. So how many days should I wait before I can start transferring the young shrimps?
 #3702  by odin

How many tanks do you have? Is the tank you are wanting to move them to mature and stuff? If you have a net i would wait until they are actual shrimp and are a few months old as they are very delicate. If you have a tube or a shrimp catcher you can move the larvae over strait away.
 #3704  by Beano

I have two other tanks, both larger than this one and there are opaeula still alive in them so I presume are mature tanks :tongue: I only have a net. So I guess I should wait till the larvae grow up before transferring. Hope they don't generate too much ammonia in their current small tank. Do you think I should add more bacterial treatment solution?
 #3706  by odin

Nope I wouldn't do anything, ask our member @opae ula related about transferring larvae with a tube, this would work great in your tank because you can suck them up to move and you wouldn't take too much water out with each move.

If you start to see the shrimp turn pale and swim laps of the tank etc then test the water quality and take it from there as that's a sign of poor water quality.

Last edited by odin on 13 Aug 2017 13:28, edited 1 time in total.