Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #3751  by odin

Feeding time! sorry for the camera shaking, i have uploaded the same video with stability option if the first one makes you feel sea sick!

Last edited by odin on 17 Aug 2017 21:24, edited 1 time in total.
 #3763  by odin

Well i was suppose to move house the other month but that fell through but we are still going to be moving soon, after that i will try and get a new tank setup and experiment a bit with this species of shrimp.
 #3800  by Beano

Hi Odin, I got myself 6 alphas and have set them up in a 10litre tank(no filter). :smile: I am thinking of feeding them spirulina powder. How often can I feed them without fouling the water?

Are you able to tell the gender? I notice some have bigger claws
 #3801  by odin

Thats awsome man! They are so much fun to watch and they always seem to chase each other and make each other jump around when they come face to face with each other lol :smile:

I feed my tank once a week and feed them like 3 - 4 fish flakes, i would probably take 1 to 2 large flakes (broken up but not powdered) and drop that in the tank and make sure it sinks to the bottom. I have seen mine eating at the algae thats grown on the waters surface but its very rare, probably because they have fish food flakes to eat. I'm not sure how well they will pick up algae powder with their large claws to be honest.
Last edited by odin on 30 Aug 2017 19:30, edited 1 time in total.
 #3802  by Beano

Yeah, they seem territorial. I see the larger ones chase away the smaller ones of the peak of the larva rock. :grin3: Do you know how to tell a male from a female?
Last edited by Beano on 30 Aug 2017 19:43, edited 1 time in total.
 #3803  by odin

Unfortunately i don't, they seem to become berried a lot more frequently compared to Opae ula shrimp so you will get a good idea in the following weeks/months! Keep us all updated on your progress and take some photos!
Last edited by odin on 30 Aug 2017 20:00, edited 2 times in total.