Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #3939  by Priscilla

Hey all!

Is it okay to leave the lights on 24/7?
Will leaving it on disturb the shrimps during their rest or something? :what:
 #3941  by odin

If you have places for the shrimp to take cover when they need to like a cave or rocks piled up to make a cover i dont see any issues on the shrimp side of things but you may get some crazy algae growth.
 #3946  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 09 Oct 2017 18:41 If you have places for the shrimp to take cover when they need to like a cave or rocks piled up to make a cover i dont see any issues on the shrimp side of things but you may get some crazy algae growth.
I only have 1 sea fan and 5 small marimo balls in the tank. :what:
 #3947  by odin

Try it as an experiment and see how it goes! We are all still learning when it comes to this species :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #3948  by opae ula related

Do you have a pic of the tank? Why do you think you need the lights on 24 hrs?
 #3951  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 10 Oct 2017 07:36 Try it as an experiment and see how it goes! We are all still learning when it comes to this species :)

Alright! I will update you guys at a further date!
 #3952  by Priscilla

opae ula related wrote: 10 Oct 2017 15:39 Do you have a pic of the tank? Why do you think you need the lights on 24 hrs?
I wanted to grow more algae since the shrimps love them. And some days I might not be home to adjust the lighting. Probably about 1-2 days per week?
 #3953  by opae ula related

Priscilla wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 10 Oct 2017 15:39 Do you have a pic of the tank? Why do you think you need the lights on 24 hrs?
I wanted to grow more algae since the shrimps love them. And some days I might not be home to adjust the lighting. Probably about 1-2 days per week?
They sell timers that you can plug in that will turn on and off depending on your settings. I use them and recommend the quieter digital ones.
 #3954  by odin

opae ula related wrote:
Priscilla wrote:
They sell timers that you can plug in that will turn on and off depending on your settings. I use them and recommend the quieter digital ones.

I use these and they are great, money well spent.

#3955  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 11 Oct 2017 16:09
opae ula related wrote:
Priscilla wrote:

I use these and they are great, money well spent.

Is the timer sold separately from the light or do I have to change the whole lightning?