Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4017  by Priscilla

Hello everyone! :sidesmile:

Can anyone of y'all identify this? I'm trying to grow algae in my tank. Are these like initial stages of algae?
Why does my tank take so long to have algae growth while everyone's growing so well? :cry:
 #4018  by odin

It could be! Do you have any on any ornaments?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4019  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 13 Nov 2017 18:09 It could be! Do you have any on any ornaments?

Hey Odin!

I don't have any ornaments in the tank, just a sea fan and some moss balls
 #4027  by odin

Any updates on this? i'm dying to see if it is algae growing :laugh:
 #4033  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 16 Nov 2017 19:10 Any updates on this? i'm dying to see if it is algae growing :laugh:
Sadly no algae growth yet :(
But, I'm seeing this smokey thing in the water today. It appears for a moment and disappears to nowhere. I'll attach some pictures.

I've also been adding tiny amount of spirulina powder into the tank every 2 days in hopes to promote some algae growth.

#4036  by odin

I wouldn't add food every 2 days as this may foul the water, is the lid on your tank air tight?
 #4040  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 20 Nov 2017 22:00 I wouldn't add food every 2 days as this may foul the water, is the lid on your tank air tight?
Alright, I stopped adding the food already. Do algae start growing out as light yellowish green or green straight away?
 #4044  by odin

I think it depends on the type but mine just started on the glass first and sort of looked like a powder if that makes sense.

#4046  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 21 Nov 2017 18:20 I think it depends on the type but mine just started on the glass first and sort of looked like a powder if that makes sense.

oh okay, mine looks kinda of furry :huh:
but the growth is super slow. Does 24h light help it grow faster?
 #4047  by odin

Yup that will increase the growth.