Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4071  by odin

Yup that’s definitely an ammonia reading of at least .25ppm. Keep testing daily to make sure it doesn’t get too high. I would prepare some fresh brackish water up and do a small water change every day until the ammonia is zero and stops at zero on its own. Or you can buy a product like biodigest by prodibio and dose the tank to remove the ammonia etc.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4072  by Jonny5

I dosed a cheap bacteria booster this morning. Some walmart brand. My tests are also old. I will retest tomorrow and see. For all I know the bacteria booster could even be spiking it. If It test better or same tomorrow I will leave it. If It looks worse I will change some water out tomorrow. Or you Think it is best to change out a gallon tonight.
 #4073  by Jonny5

2 are out now. One in pic. Seems I little light on color. Think I will just leave it. Before I upset the system. It is filtered so should cycle ammo out decently quick. Levels are not good but don't think that they are that bad for short time...? Unless you think I should do something. Thanks for all input.
Attachments:
1511824784778875129322.jpg
1511824784778875129322.jpg (152.32 KiB) Viewed 6157 times
 #4075  by opae ula related

Nice looking tank. I like that you can fill water to the top.

So you just got the tank two weeks ago brand new and you got the shrimp just recently?

How did you decide on getting Opae Ula?
Last edited by opae ula related on 28 Nov 2017 04:41, edited 1 time in total.
 #4076  by Jonny5

Had the tank for several years. Had a purple reef lobster in it for years. I saw him catch purple fire fish in my reef tank. Didn't want to kill him so relocated him.

Tank was set up 1 to 2 weeks before I got opae ula. Have had good luck with quick cycling tanks with bio additives and a few pieces of flake food. Ran out of the stuff I normally used. Was called cycle by nutrifin. Used some cheap walmart stuff since it was available. Tank has been running total for 3 to 4 weeks.

Tank is nice but a pain to do mantaince stuff do to the small port to get inside tank.

Got the opae ula because of the long life, breeding, and high volumes that can populate. Almost no mantaince needed. I think inverts are neat. From what i read that these guys are very active. Neat conversation price.
 #4077  by opae ula related

Agree on what you stated for Opae Ula. :smile:

You ever thought of more rocks like what you have to create more hiding spaces?
 #4079  by odin

Having lots of caves, nooks and crannies will improve chances of breeding tremendously. I’ve also noticed that if you have small numbers the Shrimp do tend to hide a lot and once your numbers increase they tend to hang out together in the open so I guess they feel safer in numbers. You need to have good water parameters though if you do wish to increase the population and stable enough to deal with the extra bioload.

#4081  by Jonny5

I do plan on getting more rock. Was going to use some Pukani rock. Kinda resemble very dense root system but has lots of room to hide inside. Check out some pictures of it. I think it would do good. I wanted to let tank settle out a bit before shoving more rocks in.

I know numbers will make me see more but they are kinda pricey. My hope is that they are close to breeding age.

I sure their won't be any breeding going in crappy water conditions. I'm sure they get the "I don't feel good I'm not in the mood". LMAO..
 #4082  by odin

Lol that made me chuckle, you are probably not half wrong! From the data we have recorded on the forum you will get breeding around the 7 to 9 month old mark if they are happy and all is well in your Shrimp kingdom.

#4084  by Jonny5

That long huh. I figured would only be a few months. Since they should already be a few months old. Kinda sux. Going to be long time to start seeing some population. Oh well.