Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4106  by Jlynniesue

My shrimp tank has always had both white clear and brilliant red shrimp. Is this always normal? They’ve been white at all times even when undisturbed, same with of those with little or no color. The red shrimp remain brilliant red as well. Their diet is powdered algae and that which grows in the tank, with an occasional half of a tiny algae wafer.
I have recently found my first berried shrimp. Very excited. It’s been nearly 4 weeks and I’m watching for larvae. I had to replace filter media and obtained a bio additive and an ammonia test kit. After a larger water replacement along with new filter media, plus a new very fine filter cover safe for larvae, and a nervous week in between due to not having anything but test strips, my test for ammonia came out zero, and I’m thrilled. I finally have some pics too!
I have a very small bottled in which a received my first opae ula. There were just two shrimp. I began a large tank with more shrimp just 10 months ago. This small bottle has been great at growing algae near ear an ordinary table lamp. I was able to add some of this algae to large tank during cycling and it did the trick nicely. Thanks for all the info in the various threads. This is a great forum!
My Christmas wishlist includes a new glass tank with rail light, mine is acrylic, also some heaters, and a full salt aquaria test kit. I hope to have three environments set up by January.

Question: How many of you have these variances in color? Is this indicative of a problem in the water. I’m not sure as the whole population seems healthy and they’re breeding!
Pics below. The small dots in some photos are algae on the acrylic tank wall, not the decor .
Any and all input welcome! I have a ton of questions!
 #4108  by odin

Im glad you are enjoying the forum @Jlynniesue ! Those are some really nice shrimp you have there and yes its totally normal for some shrimp to be pale and some to be vibrant red. If all of your Opae ula were pale then maybe we could look at water conditions but your ammonia test is Zero so in theory all is well on that front.

Take a look at 2 of my shrimp that share a tank: http://opaeula.co.uk/page/opae-ula-faq? ... 25913#pale and you can see i have the same situation. Some shrimps are just naturaly pale so dont worry. You can selective breed when you get more tanks and group up the deep red ones and see how their offspring turn out. If you are getting breeding too then your tanks great for them.
 #4113  by opae ula related

Nice. Where did you purchase your shrimp from?

Also, you have a pic of your tank? Sounds like you have a filter and why did you have a large water replacement?
 #4115  by Jlynniesue

I got my order of 35 shrimp from a Breeder in Ohio here in the U.S. I didn’t want to order from Hawaii again where I got my first two shrimp & that small bottle. Too far and too expensive. They were communicative when selling, but afterwards I wasn’t permitted to leave feedback or ask questions. They’re on EBay. Purely in it for the money, not to help their buyers. This gorum is great!

My large water replacement was to rebalance the salt, top off tank due to evaporation which was dropping water level and replace the filter media.
 #4116  by Jlynniesue

Great news today as I found a 10 gallon glass tank, with lighted hood, a heater and a wrought iron stand at the local charity shop! Needs thorough cleaning of course, but I can start a set up to cycle this new one much sooner than I’d hoped.
 #4117  by odin

Jlynniesue wrote:Great news today as I found a 10 gallon glass tank, with lighted hood, a heater and a wrought iron stand at the local charity shop! Needs thorough cleaning of course, but I can start a set up to cycle this new one much sooner than I’d hoped.
Thats awesome! Be sure to take some photos for us all too see when you have chance :smile: