Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4118  by Priscilla

What can I do about this? I woke up and see that 1 adult and 2 babies are struggling to survive. Adult seems to have molting problem cuz I see some lose molt on its legs. Water is all fine, I tested it yesterday. I don’t understand why are they dying :upset2:
 #4119  by odin

Priscilla wrote:What can I do about this? I woke up and see that 1 adult and 2 babies are struggling to survive. Adult seems to have molting problem cuz I see some lose molt on its legs. Water is all fine, I tested it yesterday. I don’t understand why are they dying :upset2:

What is your waters PH? What water source and salt are you using?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4120  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 02 Dec 2017 23:45
Priscilla wrote:What can I do about this? I woke up and see that 1 adult and 2 babies are struggling to survive. Adult seems to have molting problem cuz I see some lose molt on its legs. Water is all fine, I tested it yesterday. I don’t understand why are they dying :upset2:

What is your waters PH? What water source and salt are you using?

I’m using marine salt, the same ones I’ve been using for the past year :(

PH is about 7.8-8
 #4121  by odin

Are you using Ro water, Tap water etc? Are all of your Shrimp moulting right now?

#4122  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 02 Dec 2017 23:55 Are you using Ro water, Tap water etc? Are all of your Shrimp moulting right now?

I use distilled water.

I transferred them out into a container w new water.

So far none molted yet. But I see the little guy flapping it’s swimmers but he’s upside down. I don’t know whats wrong 😞

How do I help them molt properly?
 #4123  by odin

When you say they are struggling to survive what do you mean? Why have you moved them into fresh water? It sounds like contamination to me if more then one are having issues. You need to trace back what could of gotten into the water.

#4124  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 03 Dec 2017 00:20 When you say they are struggling to survive what do you mean? Why have you moved them into fresh water? It sounds like contamination to me if more then one are having issues. You need to trace back what could of gotten into the water.

I see the adult and 2 babies popcorning and then laying there motionless and then after awhile flapping their swimmers and try to popcorn again.

I thought something might be wrong with the tank so I took all of them out and placed them in a container of new brackish water. I just thought it would be safer this way :(

I haven’t been touching the tank for Long other than adding spirulina powder last week.
 #4125  by odin

That is definitely water contamination, I feel the adults have been forced to moult early and that is why they have failed to moult and the popcorning is very typical of somthing bad in the water.

#4127  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 03 Dec 2017 08:24 That is definitely water contamination, I feel the adults have been forced to moult early and that is why they have failed to moult and the popcorning is very typical of somthing bad in the water.

What should I do? Should I add iodine to help them molt smoothly?
They are still struggling until now.

I just saw the tweezers that I recently used, there is a tiny rust spot, do u think its the cause?
 #4128  by odin

I wouldn't think the tweezers are the issue, i use a small net that has some small rust on it and i have not encountered any issues. If the shrimp pick up and are ok in the fresh water you have them in then its a sign that something has made its way into their tank water in which case you will need to empty the water out of it and refill it with clean brackish water. If you do this quickly you shouldn't lose too much of you colonized bacteria on your tank as it lives mostly in the substrate.

edit: i wouldn't add anything to the tank to help them moult.