Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4151  by Priscilla

Hey! I'm thinking of adding another 5-10 more shrimps in my tank. Do y'all think its safe to add them now because I have babies in the tank and do not want the newbies to attack them. Would they? :what:
 #4152  by odin

They won’t upset your Shrimp young or old so that won’t ever be an issue for you, is this the tank you have had to restart in your other thread?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4153  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 06 Dec 2017 16:16 They won’t upset your Shrimp young or old so that won’t ever be an issue for you, is this the tank you have had to restart in your other thread?

Oh thats great to hear!

Yup it is!

Btw, small update, the adult with the molting problem molted already and its swimming around, hes missing 1 claw tho. Hope it would grow out again.
 #4154  by odin

That’s great news I’m glad they are doing better. I was going to say that you should give it a few days to see how your Shrimp are doing in the restarted tank before adding more to be sure the water is ok, but it sounds like all is fine.

#4155  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 06 Dec 2017 16:21 That’s great news I’m glad they are doing better. I was going to say that you should give it a few days to see how your Shrimp are doing in the restarted tank before adding more to be sure the water is ok, but it sounds like all is fine.

Will the shrimps be happy with a clean tank? No algae or anything. Does that mean I have to feed them more often since the tank is algae free? And will they still breed if the tank doesn’t have algae?
 #4156  by odin

There will be biofilm in your tank that you cannot see, even after emptying the water out and refilling it from before. These little guys don’t require very much food at all. My 140 litre breeding tank gets fed once a week or sometimes once a fortnight if I remember and there are over 300 Shrimp in it with no visible algae in it at all.

#4157  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 07 Dec 2017 09:16 There will be biofilm in your tank that you cannot see, even after emptying the water out and refilling it from before. These little guys don’t require very much food at all. My 140 litre breeding tank gets fed once a week or sometimes once a fortnight if I remember and there are over 300 Shrimp in it with no visible algae in it at all.

Oh okay, do they naturally go up to the water surface to eat or do I have to cultivate this habit?
And also, what do I do when theres a bacteria bloom?
 #4158  by odin

I believe it’s something they learn to do but it seems to come naturally to them, majority of mine surface feed. Regards the bacterial bloom... if your water tests fine for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates I would just leave the water cloudy until it clears it’s self up.

#4159  by Priscilla

odin wrote: 08 Dec 2017 07:42 I believe it’s something they learn to do but it seems to come naturally to them, majority of mine surface feed. Regards the bacterial bloom... if your water tests fine for Ammonia, Nitrites and Nitrates I would just leave the water cloudy until it clears it’s self up.

Will the bacteria bloom clear up on its own?
What causes this?
 #4160  by odin

Yes it will sort its self out eventually, here is a quick extract

A "bacteria bloom" can also be caused by sudden increases in ammonia due to overfeeding or excess organic waste and decay. Losses of large numbers of bacteria due to power outages or other circumstances can also cause blooms. Test the aquarium water for ammonia and nitrite.