Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4335  by SG Sam

My tank is infested with hair algae. What the best solution to remove and get rid of them once and for all?

Sent from my BLA-L29 using Tapatalk

#4337  by odin

Hey SG Sam, a fast solution would be to remove most by hand, reduce your light lengths through the day and reduce feeding in the tank to lower the nutrients.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4338  by SG Sam

I tried but it just keep coming back. Its attached to my marimoball. I get fed up and removed all my marimoball. Is it okay not to have any plant in the tank?

#4339  by odin

Yes that’s fine, have you tried having a nerite snail in the tank to stay on top of it as it grows back? I have never tried any anti hair algae products before but that’s not to say you can’t. You would need to experiment and make sure it doesn’t harm the Shrimp.

Does biodigest reduce the food source for algae’s?

#4340  by SG Sam

I am not too sure about biodigest. I do have 2 horned snail in my tank. And one of them even have hair algae on its back.

#4341  by odin

Take a look: http://www.prodibio.com/bacteria-tank-d ... filtration

If you read here it states hair algae needs Nitrates and Phosphates to survive and grow,

https://www.thespruce.com/curing-nuisan ... ae-2924935

Biodigest reduces both of these and I use it in all my tanks so it is Opae ula safe. So maybe this is worth a go after you have removed all you can and reduced feeding and lighting.

#4342  by SG Sam

Okay. Thanks but is one vial too much for my tank? My tank is only 17 liters

#4343  by odin

Nope you cannot overdose with it as per the instructions it comes with.

#4344  by Vorteil

I had major issues with hair algae & always removed it by hand whenever possible. I do use biogest in one of my tanks that has a sponge filter. Highly recommend it. You really need to figure why and what is contributing to the growth. Until you figure that out you'll never get it under control. I believe you are either feeding too much or the substrate you used wasn't cleaned out well enough before you used it. It took me months until I finally got control of it.
 #4345  by SG Sam

Vorteil wrote:I had major issues with hair algae & always removed it by hand whenever possible. I do use biogest in one of my tanks that has a sponge filter. Highly recommend it. You really need to figure why and what is contributing to the growth. Until you figure that out you'll never get it under control. I believe you are either feeding too much or the substrate you used wasn't cleaned out well enough before you used it. It took me months until I finally got control of it.
Thanks Vorteil