Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

Having issues with your tank or inhabitants? Need to know what equipment to use or have other questions? Post here!
 #4358  by QDanT

Hello all, complete beginner 67 so plenty of time and patience, 1st. question :- does this water look OK to begin with, before adding marine salt to
1. 010and cycling under light for a couple of months untill Algae growth I do have a couple of 5cm Marimo balls I could add
Thanks for your time - Danny

Stages 1 and 2: Water is forced through 0.5 micron Woven Particulate Filters to remove sediment and particles down to 0.5 micron, followed by Activated Carbon Filtration to remove chlorine and organic volatile compounds
Stage 3: The water is then 'softened' with mixed-bed ion exchange resins to remove the bulk of the calcium and magnesium ions that are responsible for making water 'hard'
Stage 4: The feed water is then forced through a reverse osmosis membrane at high pressure to create a superior starting water which is already as low as 40ppm.
Stage 5: This feed water is then boiled and the resultant steam is cooled and collected in sealed tanks
Stage 6: The distillate is 'polished' with mixed bed ion exchange resins to sequester any remaining ions
The finished water is placed into brand new, clean, food-grade 25 litre drums.
pH - 6.8
Electrical conductivity - @uS/cm <2
Ammonia - mg/l N <0.01
Chloride - mg/l Cl <1
Nitrate - mg/l NO3 <1
Nitrite - mg/l NO2 <1
Sulphate - mg/l SO4 <8
Total dissolved solids - mg/l (ppm) TDS <1 ppm
 #4362  by odin

Hi @QDanT and welcome to our Opae ula forum! What water source is this you are wanting to use? Is it a water you are purchasing or is it home made RO or distillery water? I have always used RO (reverse osmosis) water myself but others have had success with distilled water and even bottled water. Ideally it needs to be completely clean of metals, chlorine/chloride, Amonia, Nitrites and Nitrates.
 #4364  by QDanT

I've not bought any yet just came across :- (can I post a link) or can I pm you ?
I've not found any RO or Distilled water locally and Google just wants me to buy filters
 #4366  by odin

You are free to post links if you want, what country are you in?
 #4369  by QDanT

UK Yorkshire, link :- https://www.buydistilledwater.co.uk/dis ... water.html,
Couldn't find RO water local and confused with battery top up, steam iron fill, DI water which seems local, but not in food grade containers, I've still to get a 25/30 ltr tank, marine salt, heater , argonite substrate so this is me right at the beginning thought I'd start with the water
thanks again for your time - Danny
 #4370  by odin

I purchased one of these:

25 Litre PLASTIC WATER CONTAINER - DRUM - JERRICAN - 25L Containers - Anti-glug system https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B003URSXQI/ ... EAbJJ52F9A

Then went to the closest fish shop/garden Center that sell fish and just buy my RO water there. It’s like £2.50 to fill that 25 Litre container. You could even buy 2x10 litre ones for easy carrying.

All shops that sell fish have an RO source on site as they have to do water changes every day. Just ask them Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4372  by odin

You will find most people in the hobby are friendly and will help out if they can :)

#4373  by QDanT

neither does maidenhead aquatics, or marine world Bradford, I've tried a few now and it's buy a RO filter only in search results, cheaper to get it delivered from the first link does that water seem OK ? or is a secret handshake required
Cheers Danny
 #4374  by odin

They won’t advertise it on their websites but better to ring them up and just ask how much they sell their RO water for.

With regards your question I’d say give it a try and see how you get along, I can’t guarantee it won’t cause issues as I’ve never used it but it does say it’s clean and pure so in theory it should be fine. Like I said we have users who buy bottled distilled water from their super markets and have had no issues.