Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4213  by Beano

Baby brine shrimp are too large for lohena larvae to feed on. I tried it and the larvae ignored the bbs. I am going to try feeding them with infusoria. The tricky bit is cultivating the infusoria without fouling the water. I guess I understand why the alpha adults breed virtually weekly in my tank....the survival rate of the larvae is terribly bad compared to opae ula larvae.
 #4328  by odin

Weifoong wrote:Hi @odin ,
U 've nice algae growth on your rocks.
How do u grow algae on your rocks?
Thanks
Weifoong

Hey, that algae is no longer there and the snails finished it off, it seems to grow on ocean rock/Texas hokey rock strait after it starts to cycle but when it was eaten it never came back.

A shame really as it looked awesome didn’t it :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4484  by KarstShrimp

Cool! I don't know much about Meta, just thought they had HUGE claws. Do you mind me asking where your Meta came from?
 #10515  by odin

Roughly 7 years old and still going! I’m not sure if any one else has documented how long the alpha live for but these are still alive :)

#10516  by opae ula related

odin wrote:Image

Roughly 7 years old and still going! I’m not sure if any one else has documented how long the alpha live for but these are still alive :)

Imagenice to hear! Mines still going too.
 #10681  by Euphotica

Interesting but calling them "alpha opae ula" seems improper and bound to cause confusion. They aren't the same species or genus or even the same family as the Halocaridina rubra which are the focus of this forum; they are more carnivorous and our opae ula are their prey, so tanking them together would be problematic.