Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #4580  by Munchkinmama

Hi,
I went to out local fish store today and bought a fluvial chi 19l tank, salts for brackish water, black sand, decorations and a box of aqua pure aquarium balls. I also got some decorations and a piece of live rock for the shrimp to climb on. I've set it up and will wait now until the water is right ( I realize I will probably need to cover the filter before I add the shrimps ). The guy at the shop said just use tap water - I hope it will be ok with cycling. Do you guys think it looks ok and will the rock be suitable? I washed it thoroughly under really hot water. Thanks for you help,
Alexandra
 #4581  by odin

It depends where you live because tap water can contain stuff that won’t go well with shrimp. Here in the UK we have metals, chlorine and other harmful additives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #4584  by odin

Hmm well you could try it but I can’t guarantee it will be ok because everyone’s tap water is so different, you can either start over with distilled or RO water or buy some dechlorinator for aquariums and mix that into the tank water to try and remove any heavy metals and other nasty stuff. If your shrimp don’t do very well then your tap water would be the first thing to look at.

You never know all may be fine.

#4586  by odin

Give everything a good scrub and rinse in RO water before you pop them back into your tank :)

#4588  by KarstShrimp

Hello and how exciting for you! I second Odin's post about tap water, use distilled or RO water. Since water changes won't be necessary besides topping off evaporation, the initial investment is worth it. Also be careful with the type of salt, it should be marine or reef salt and not aquarium salt. Live rock is not recommended since the live organism can cause problems for these shrimp. Trust me, if you get these right in the beginning you'll be rewarded down the road. For more complete instructions on setting up an opae ula tank,

Btw I have 2 fluval tanks and I love them. :grin:
 #4589  by odin

KarstShrimp wrote:Hello and how exciting for you! I second Odin's post about tap water, use distilled or RO water. Since water changes won't be necessary besides topping off evaporation, the initial investment is worth it. Also be careful with the type of salt, it should be marine or reef salt and not aquarium salt. Live rock is not recommended since the live organism can cause problems for these shrimp. Trust me, if you get these right in the beginning you'll be rewarded down the road. For more complete instructions on setting up an opae ula tank,

Btw I have 2 fluval tanks and I love them. :grin:

Good information, we have our own care guides here: viewforum.php?f=6
 #4590  by KarstShrimp

Yup that's two for two! Both guides say no live sand/rock. :happy: Didn't mean to step on anyone's toes. I'm new to this forum, and I'm on the forum a lot so that's what comes to my mind first.