Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #301  by opae ula related

odin wrote:Do they require a higher SG to survive?
I am currently running an experiment with 3 opae ula's that are a few months old in the Alpha tank. See if any are missing later. :sick:
 #302  by odin

No I've not heard of anyone having success yet, its a shame really. Id be willing to have a go though.
 #461  by Ann

Recent events in my life reminded me that you don't live forever. As much as I want a ten gallon tank full of Opae Ula, I think that would be very selfish. Who is going to take hundreds of shrimp if I go to that big aquarium in the sky? I decided to get a two gallon see through cookie jar. I found a place that sell Opaes in threes. This would make a much more manageable setup to pass down. I intend to follow all setting up and care rules. I'm can still enjoy the little guys.
Ann
 #859  by Halocaridina

I found this thread about someone's attempt to breed pistol shrimp (Alpheidae, same family as Metabetaeus) with pictures:
http://www.marinebreeder.org/forums/vie ... ab61efedf7

The person ultimately failed, but he managed to get them to molt a few times and survive 13 days. Given pistol shrimp are readily available to marine aquarists, I think looking up attempts to breed them is the best way to figure out how to breed M. lohena, if it is possible.
 #860  by odin

Nice find, its a shame when it doesnt go to plan :cry: Thanks for the read.
 #861  by opae ula related

Yes, nice find! Interesting it also having the "spear" of Metabetaeus. Doesn't sound like they were fed and died after the yolk sac was used up.
 #863  by opae ula related

Interesting! Too bad the thread stop in 2014 and did not continue.
Also Interesting they change 100% of the water.
 #2979  by AdeDunn

Figured I'd post a quick hello, having signed up earlier. I've been lurking for a few days after realising that the little 17 litre tank, previously considered useless, would be good for keeping Opae'ula in. :wink:

I don't have any yet, just a big palludarium with dream blue Neocaridina davidi + Spixi apple snails, and a 30 litre tank with CRS, CBS and Thai micro crabs. Started work on the 17l though, so will start a journal soon.

Ade
 #2980  by odin

Welcome aboard @AdeDunn ! If you have any questions or concerns don't hesitate to ask away, everyone here is very knowledgeable and are very friendly. I see you are not new to shrimp keeping so I doubt you will have any issues keeping these little guys. :sidesmile:
Last edited by odin on 05 Apr 2017 14:01, edited 1 time in total.