Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #10685  by Euphotica

Does anyone keep a "nerite" snail with your opae ula? I am thinking of adding a small red racer nerite . I have been told that adding any nerite to the system is risky because they eat too much and produce too much waste. Others say 3 per 10 gallon tank is okay.

I have an unfiltered 6 gallon tank getting ready for the opae ula. It contains half an inch of rounded-particle sand on the bottom, topped with a scattering of broken seashell bits and a piece of limestone. After a month, the tank has no visible brown microfilm in spite of having been inoculated with a rock from a mature tank (although it does have good-enough scummy algae for the opae ula to eat). The rock has in addition developed a blob of blue-green alga that I have not seen before.

I am hoping that the red racer's waste will improve the bacterial population. I am also hoping that it might eat the BGA. The snail is only about the size of a large fresh pea.

Advice?
 #10695  by odin

Absolutely! I keep horned nerites which stay small and are good for small tanks and zebra nerites which are the larger ones which go well in larger tanks. Some I’ve had for around 8 to 9 years now.

Be sure there is ample food for them to eat though!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro mo