Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..

Do your Opae Ula swim manly Clockwise or Counterclockwise

Clockwise NH
57%
Counterclockwise NH
14%
Neither NH
14%
Clockwise SH
No votes
0%
Counterclockwise SH
No votes
0%
Neither SH
14%
 #6554  by Algae In Space

Let's get scientific :blush:

This may sound ludicrous to you but I managed to observe a most interesting Opae Ula behaviour.

In my cylindrical tank my Opae can swim laps without having to take turns. So I had some months to watch them and I noticed that when they're swimming in a swarm like mode (not in grazing mode but really on the move in a swarm) they almost 100% of the time swim in counterclockwise direction.

Please tell me if you are noticing this in you tank too :what:

Please choose according to your location - Northern Hemisphere or Southern Hemisphere

Last edited by Algae In Space on 23 Jan 2019 17:22, edited 4 times in total.
 #6558  by opae ula related

This tank in the Big Island's at the visitor center was going clockwise on this particular day...
 #6581  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 23 Jan 2019 19:04

This tank in the Big Island's at the visitor center was going clockwise on this particular day...

By the way OUR you have been there how large is this tank estimated?
Dont need estimate, 9 gallon tank at 70f to 74f. More info below. This is also the temperature I use currently in my tanks : )

http://www.fukubonsai.com/M-L2e1.html
 #6587  by odin

Melijayne wrote:Wow I am lucky if I see my shrimp swimming at all :upset:
When they reproduce and their numbers increase you will see them all out more.... they are very social shrimp and i think they must feel safe in numbers.