Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #6964  by potion123456

Hello everyone!
Im new to the opae ula shrimp hobby though i have kept cherries for quite a few years now. Im facinated by its durability and low maintenance!

I have a 5 liter tank which was a freshwater tank overgrown with black beard algae. I did a hydrogen peroxide treatment just now and decided its time to convert it to a brackish tank (1.01 sg).
I use coral sand as base and volcano gravel on top as substrate. 2 pieces of limestone and dead corals were placed for aquascaping and to increase hardness.

Few questions:
Will planaria that existed before i converted it to brackish survive and continue living in it?

I want to rear some nerites in it with intention to breed them. Will nerites naturally reproduce successfully in the tank? I don't want to go through the hassel of bringing the larva into a salt tank and acclimatise to other water conditions.

Will black beard algae continue to grow/ will the shrimps manage their size?

Will my christmas moss and marimo do well in the tank?

How often should i change water and how much?

Will amano shrimps do okay in it?

What other brackish tank mates can i introduce in the tank?

Sorry the photos are little messy. The first is the current state. Second is after adding hydrogen peroxide. Third is in its freshwater state. Fourth is my 4 opae ulas i bought today (plan to keep them there for a few days while my tank cycles). Fifth is the current state of tank as well.

I would appreciate any answers, don't have to answer all! Im pretty new to opae ulas so i hope to get some advice from yall :)

Thank you!!
NathanImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#6970  by Algae In Space

Greetings

I‘ve heared that planaria can survive in brackish water.

No water change needed. Just don‘t feed.

Don‘t know about your nerites. I got mahogany trumpet snails and they‘re thriving. You can also use malaysian trumpet snails. Dusky nerites like it in brackish water too.

The marimo ball will survive. Maybe it‘s a good idea to let it aclimate to the salt slowly. Don‘t know about your other algae.
 #6975  by opae ula related

Nice tank.

BBA will not go away in a brackish tank and will not be controlled by opae ula. Growth depends on amount of lighting.

If you can get a hold of a Hawaiian Dwarf hermit crab, they can be tank mates but dont live that long. Maybe couple of years.
 #6993  by potion123456

Just an update. The hydrogen peroxide treatment killed most bba, probably at least judging from its change to green. I have just added my opaes after a week of cycling but im not sure why they aren't red at all. Since the day i bought them they have been transparent even when they are calm. Im from Singapore not sure if there's anything to do with climate but I bought it from a breeder. The shrimps are swimming around frantically. I'm not sure if it's cos the SG in the tank is too different (1.008) from the water they're in (1.01). ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

#6995  by opae ula related

potion123456 wrote:Just an update. The hydrogen peroxide treatment killed most bba, probably at least judging from its change to green. I have just added my opaes after a week of cycling but im not sure why they aren't red at all. Since the day i bought them they have been transparent even when they are calm. Im from Singapore not sure if there's anything to do with climate but I bought it from a breeder. The shrimps are swimming around frantically. I'm not sure if it's cos the SG in the tank is too different (1.008) from the water they're in (1.01). ImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

I think they are afraid of the teddy bears staring at them :).

Joking. I noticed a Singapore seller sells mostly clear ones. Ask the seller if they were clear before you bought them. From the Anchialine pool book, Opae Ula from Oahu are mostly pink to clear and a small percentage are red. Opae Ula from the Big Island and Maui are predominantly red.
 #7064  by odin

If you test your water parameters and post them we can work out whats wrong if you believe that something isn't right. Clear shrimp that swim around frantically in my opinion are in water that isn't quite right for them and is usually and easy fix.

欢迎
 #10186  by potion123456

I'm happy to update everyone that after all that drama almost a year ago my shrimps have settled down and are having babies! Looks like a few water changes and removing the filter did the job. Photos dated: 29jan22
20220129_000025.jpg
20220129_000025.jpg (127.48 KiB) Viewed 7266 times
20220128_235959.jpg
20220128_235959.jpg (119.19 KiB) Viewed 7266 times
20220128_235953.jpg
20220128_235953.jpg (110.85 KiB) Viewed 7266 times
20220128_235943.jpg
20220128_235943.jpg (117.22 KiB) Viewed 7266 times
20220128_235939.jpg
20220128_235939.jpg (141.96 KiB) Viewed 7266 times

#10197  by odin

That’s great news, a water change is always the best way to fix a water quality problem you come up against until you hunt down the underlying issue.