Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7291  by Rex113
 05 May 2019 19:11
No I have a 2 gallon it’s the one In the video I posted. I am so fascinated by the alphas, I’m really tempted to start a 55 gallon loaded with lava rock. And partitioning off a small area that I would be able to transfer any babies I might come across.
 #7295  by opae ula related
 06 May 2019 02:05
Rex113 wrote:No I have a 2 gallon it’s the one In the video I posted. I am so fascinated by the alphas, I’m really tempted to start a 55 gallon loaded with lava rock. And partitioning off a small area that I would be able to transfer any babies I might come across.
Only thing is that the partitioned area is the same salinity?
 #7361  by Rex113
 12 May 2019 23:25
Yes that’s true, I was thinking I would put the berried female in the partitioned area prior to the eggs being released. Then I would hope to have a few cycled jars with each having a different salinity. Moving the babies into a different jar every couple of days, maybe it is what is happening in the analchaline pools. The lower they go the more the salinity increases. Just a thought, I have to start somewhere, every couple of days I have a different idea .
 #7455  by Beano
 22 May 2019 17:07
Rex113 wrote:Yes that’s true, I was thinking I would put the berried female in the partitioned area prior to the eggs being released. Then I would hope to have a few cycled jars with each having a different salinity. Moving the babies into a different jar every couple of days, maybe it is what is happening in the analchaline pools. The lower they go the more the salinity increases. Just a thought, I have to start somewhere, every couple of days I have a different idea .
That’s the right approach to have the highest chance of the larvae being born. When I was trying to breed them, I place the berried lohena into a guppy fish breeding box which had slits and the breeding box was in a larger tank. Once the larvae are born, most of the larvae would escape from the mother via the slits and the mother can’t chase after them. I only manage to keep the larvae alive for 7 days before they died. They seem to survive longer with higher salinity but not full seawater salinity. I tried green water and micro plankton but I don’t think they are plant eaters at that stage. I think they eat tiny living micro organism but I haven’t had the time to try that approach. Half of my adult lohena have died and I think the only male was one of them because the remaining have not berried for months. :sad2:
 #7456  by opae ula related
 22 May 2019 17:21
Beano wrote:
Rex113 wrote:Yes that’s true, I was thinking I would put the berried female in the partitioned area prior to the eggs being released. Then I would hope to have a few cycled jars with each having a different salinity. Moving the babies into a different jar every couple of days, maybe it is what is happening in the analchaline pools. The lower they go the more the salinity increases. Just a thought, I have to start somewhere, every couple of days I have a different idea .
That’s the right approach to have the highest chance of the larvae being born. When I was trying to breed them, I place the berried lohena into a guppy fish breeding box which had slits and the breeding box was in a larger tank. Once the larvae are born, most of the larvae would escape from the mother via the slits and the mother can’t chase after them. I only manage to keep the larvae alive for 7 days before they died. They seem to survive longer with higher salinity but not full seawater salinity. I tried green water and micro plankton but I don’t think they are plant eaters at that stage. I think they eat tiny living micro organism but I haven’t had the time to try that approach. Half of my adult lohena have died and I think the only male was one of them because the remaining have not berried for months. :sad2:
Long time no post. What happened to them? Why they died?
 #7457  by Beano
 22 May 2019 17:56
Long time no post. What happened to them? Why they died?
Yeah, been really busy with work and other personal matters. I think my overfeeding before leaving for a month long work trip cause an algae bloom which might have cause their deaths.
 #7458  by opae ula related
 22 May 2019 18:59
Beano wrote: Long time no post. What happened to them? Why they died?
Yeah, been really busy with work and other personal matters. I think my overfeeding before leaving for a month long work trip cause an algae bloom which might have cause their deaths.
Ouch, so you have 3 left? If you didn’t know, I was able to record a ML larva.
 #7469  by Beano
 23 May 2019 10:38
opae ula related wrote: 22 May 2019 18:59
Beano wrote: Long time no post. What happened to them? Why they died?
Yeah, been really busy with work and other personal matters. I think my overfeeding before leaving for a month long work trip cause an algae bloom which might have cause their deaths.
Ouch, so you have 3 left? If you didn’t know, I was able to record a ML larva.
Yeah down to 3. Did your larva survive?
 #7471  by Rex113
 23 May 2019 15:04
Sorry to hear about your tank crashing Beano. I read all of your old posts and was hoping you would be able to successfully raise some young metabetaeus lohena. It sounds as if you have been busy with life, but I hope you can find the time to locate some more of these shrimp and keep on trying.....Good luck
 #7472  by opae ula related
 23 May 2019 15:24
Beano wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 22 May 2019 18:59
Beano wrote: Long time no post. What happened to them? Why they died?
Yeah, been really busy with work and other personal matters. I think my overfeeding before leaving for a month long work trip cause an algae bloom which might have cause their deaths.
Ouch, so you have 3 left? If you didn’t know, I was able to record a ML larva.
Yeah down to 3. Did your larva survive?
Nope :(
Btw, as I just posted in other post, the adult is pinching something really small and eating them. Could be something that larva eat?