Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7400  by opae ula related

Looking at the big picture, people are polluting the oceans with plastic, killing animals by taking their land, sport, medicine, food etc, deforestation, global warming, melting icecaps, rising ocean waters etc.

That is another topic but it seems like organisations in Hawaii are pretty good in protecting the wild life, plants etc. Imagine someone or group is trying to put Anchialine shrimp in the endangered list and have successfully made two on the list.

Just rambling.....
 #7402  by Vorteil

I think it's extremely difficult to really guage the population until you really get out there and explore the isplands. When I say unacessable I mean you cannot walk or get there even by boat. Many parts of the Big Island are this way and i'm pretty sure other islands are the same.
Didn't Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm open a hole where they are and the Opae Ula came around? I thought I read that somewhere? Here's the article link.

http://www.susanscott.net/OceanWatch2007/aug03-07.html
 #7403  by Vorteil

Marine biologist Susan Scott commented

"Opae ula are not on the endangered species list, nor is anyone petitioning the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service to add them. That, plus the fact that the sea horse farm shrimp exist only because the farmers dug a hole, and that the farm's tour guides teach visitors about our opae ula, leads me to this conclusion: It's OK to let visitors feed farmed opae ula to farmed sea horses. It is memorable wildlife experiences like this that make us care".
 #7404  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:I think it's extremely difficult to really guage the population until you really get out there and explore the isplands. When I say unacessable I mean you cannot walk or get there even by boat. Many parts of the Big Island are this way and i'm pretty sure other islands are the same.
Didn't Ocean Rider Seahorse Farm open a hole where they are and the Opae Ula came around? I thought I read that somewhere? Here's the article link.

http://www.susanscott.net/OceanWatch2007/aug03-07.html
Nice findImage
 #7406  by Algae In Space

Vorteil wrote: 17 May 2019 23:27 http://www.susanscott.net/OceanWatch2007/aug03-07.html

Interesting!

Now here we have an interesting part:

"Metabetaeus lohena (1 inch long) eats opae ula. This shrimp was once found in pools on Oahu, Maui and Hawaii but is now rare on all three islands."

I wonder if this is true. Has anyone ever seen this actually taking place (the eating part)?
 #7407  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
Vorteil wrote: 17 May 2019 23:27 http://www.susanscott.net/OceanWatch2007/aug03-07.html

Interesting!

"Metabetaeus lohena (1 inch long) eats opae ula. This shrimp was once found in pools on Oahu, Maui and Hawaii but is now rare on all three islands."

I wonder if this is true. Has anyone ever seen this actually taking place (the eating part)?
Think they overestimated the size but I guess it is possible. If the Opae ula was already dead then yes, but never saw them catch one. I do believe they eat Opae ula larvae and they do eat their own larvae.
 #7409  by odin

Alphas may grab one if they ever get the opportunity along with anything else they can get their claws on but they probably eat anything, ive seen mine eating alage patches that float on the surface of my tank to fish flake.
 #7415  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 18 May 2019 16:02
Algae In Space wrote:

Interesting!

Think they overestimated the size but I guess it is possible. If the Opae ula was already dead then yes, but never saw them catch one. I do believe they eat Opae ula larvae and they do eat their own larvae.

Yeah it seems a bit unlikely to me... but who knows. Maybe they do eat young ones?
 #7416  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 18 May 2019 16:02
Algae In Space wrote:
Interesting!

Yeah it seems a bit unlikely to me... but who knows. Maybe they do eat young ones?
Yup possible.