Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7487  by opae ula related

Rex113 wrote:OPAE ULA RELATED. That video you posted of the M/L eating something microscopic was amazing. Is that a video you made or someone else’s off of you tube?
I recorded it. : )
 #7488  by Beano

opae ula related wrote: 24 May 2019 00:04
Beano wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 23 May 2019 19:14 While googling hobby microcell, I saw Triops rearing food which I thought was interesting.
Found this video of someone feeding with this product.
Looks a little like brine shrimp. The adult lohena will turn into a hunting predator when transferring live brine shrimp. Quite fun to watch : :lol:
Need to see this myself. ;)
I use this round hobby brand brine shrimp hatching device. Very easy, fill up brackish water , two small spoon of brine shrimp eggs and after a day they hatch and swim to above the scooper in the middle, take the scooper which would catch the brine shrimp and transfer them into a small container with some brackish water. From there feed the lohena. Keep the remaining brine shrimp in the container in the fridge. Last a few weeks. I feed them mikrozell drip to keep them alive in the fridge.
 #7489  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 24 May 2019 00:04
Beano wrote: Looks a little like brine shrimp. The adult lohena will turn into a hunting predator when transferring live brine shrimp. Quite fun to watch : :lol:
Need to see this myself. ;)
I use this round hobby brand brine shrimp hatching device. Very easy, fill up brackish water , two small spoon of brine shrimp eggs and after a day they hatch and swim to above the scooper in the middle, take the scooper which would catch the brine shrimp and transfer them into a small container with some brackish water. From there feed the lohena. Keep the remaining brine shrimp in the container in the fridge. Last a few weeks. I feed them mikrozell drip to keep them alive in the fridge.
Cool Thanks.
 #7491  by Rex113

I’ve only had my M/L’s for a short time and it just occurred to me, how the heck does the male get close enough to the females to fertilize their eggs. Mine move around all the time but once two of them get close to each other they become startled and dart away from each other. Just wondering.
 #7492  by opae ula related

Rex113 wrote:I’ve only had my M/L’s for a short time and it just occurred to me, how the heck does the male get close enough to the females to fertilize their eggs. Mine move around all the time but once two of them get close to each other they become startled and dart away from each other. Just wondering.
Nature doing it’s thing. I assume similar to Opae ula, once the female molts it attracts the male. I gave the analogy of taking off clothes = molt : )
 #7493  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 24 May 2019 20:50
Rex113 wrote:I’ve only had my M/L’s for a short time and it just occurred to me, how the heck does the male get close enough to the females to fertilize their eggs. Mine move around all the time but once two of them get close to each other they become startled and dart away from each other. Just wondering.
Nature doing it’s thing. I assume similar to Opae ula, once the female molts it attracts the male. I gave the analogy of taking off clothes = molt : )

That and a smooth Barry White song!
 #7496  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 24 May 2019 20:50

That and a smooth Barry White song!