Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7628  by Rex113
 11 Jun 2019 18:00
Beano wrote: 11 Jun 2019 17:38 It’s very hard to catch the berried lohena. I remove all my tank rocks and decorations and once they have no hiding place I then use a shrimp net to catch the lohena to the breeding tank. I keep the breeding tank salinity the same as the main tank so the berried lohena doesn’t feel uncomfortable. Once the larvae are released I transfer them to higher salinity tank. If I didn’t do that they would die in about 2 days.
Are the larvae easy to spot once they are released and become free floating?
 #7629  by Beano
 11 Jun 2019 18:07
Rex113 wrote: 11 Jun 2019 18:00
Are the larvae easy to spot once they are released and become free floating?
Yes they are about 2mm in length shaped like a coma but head at the bottom. They are attracted to light so I use a torch light to shine at the top of the tank get them to swim up then I scoop them with my small shrimp net.
 #7631  by opae ula related
 11 Jun 2019 18:28
Beano wrote:It’s very hard to catch the berried lohena. I remove all my tank rocks and decorations and once they have no hiding place I then use a shrimp net to catch the lohena to the breeding tank. I keep the breeding tank salinity the same as the main tank so the berried lohena doesn’t feel uncomfortable. Once the larvae are released I transfer them to higher salinity tank. If I didn’t do that they would die in about 2 days.
Good advice.

Be careful not to catch her against the glass with a net. Chances are low but I once smashed an Opae ula against the edge of the net against the glass. : (
 #7632  by Rex113
 11 Jun 2019 18:41
Beano: thanks for that information, I really like how everyone on this forum is so helpful. And Opae Ula related: I will be extra cautious when using the net, you must have felt horrible after crushing that poor shrimp :upset:
 #7633  by opae ula related
 11 Jun 2019 19:23
Rex113 wrote:Beano: thanks for that information, I really like how everyone on this forum is so helpful. And Opae Ula related: I will be extra cautious when using the net, you must have felt horrible after crushing that poor shrimp :upset:
Chances are like 1 in a thousand? Yeah felt really bad.
 #7665  by Beano
 14 Jun 2019 18:13
Vorteil wrote:@Beano
Have you successfully raised ML? I think we can get the point of release & floating.
Sadly no. 8-9 days is the max they stayed alive. By 5th day they start dying
 #7666  by opae ula related
 14 Jun 2019 19:29
Beano wrote:
Vorteil wrote:@Beano
Have you successfully raised ML? I think we can get the point of release & floating.
Sadly no. 8-9 days is the max they stayed alive. By 5th day they start dying
Beano, which foods you think was best or which food was uses that made it to the 9 days?
 #7667  by Beano
 14 Jun 2019 20:33
Hobby liquidzell which is dried plankton size food in liquid form. But the problem is my filter can’t clean the excess that sinks to the bottom of the small tank and accumulates. Other plans I had was to cultivate infusoria and also green water. But never got around to doing so
 #7668  by opae ula related
 14 Jun 2019 23:03
opae ula related wrote:Below is the size from what I gathered. Since the the ML larva are small, the food must be small?

Copepod = 1mm
Rotifers = .1mm
Microworm =.05mm
Vineger eels = .04mm
Zooplankton = .02mm
Phytoplankton = .02mm
Adding
Infusoria=.025mm
  • 1
  • 3
  • 4
  • 5
  • 6
  • 7
  • 13