Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #7687  by opae ula related

Beano wrote:That’s cool. So do you have the high saline tanks or jars ready? What’s your plan for the larvae feed?

I didnt know I was able to catch her. Saw her roaming on the glass then I was able to net her. I have 2.5 gallon established tank I use for OP larvae in the past that I will use. I just need to transfer the OP to another tank and then raise the salinity. Havent figure the food yet, but below is the list.

Spirulina
Copepod = 1mm
Rotifers = .1mm
Microworm =.05mm
Vineger eels = .04mm
Zooplankton = .02mm
Phytoplankton = .02mm
Infusoria=.025mm
 #7689  by Algae In Space

Beano wrote: 15 Jun 2019 11:53
Algae In Space wrote: 15 Jun 2019 11:46 Just an idea: Separate individual larvae and put them in many smaller jars with different easy to control parameters (temperature, food, light, salinity). I guess progress is easier that way.
If doing it in jars, probably better to use green water as the experiment food to prevent fouling from the food source? I’ve pondered whether my trials have failed because of water fouling

Possibly!? One could do it step by step. First all jars with different salinity in steps of maybe 3‰? And/or different temps. Then different foodsource and so on. Just pick the conditions the larvae survived the longest under and continue.
 #7701  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 18 Jun 2019 05:09 AIG, you need to buy some from Vorteil and do these jars!

I maybe would if I were in California. But I am 6000 miles away. I also don't have the space to do such a thing at the moment... :nerner:
International shipping works I think.
 #7707  by Vorteil

Is there a way to find out what size food the baby ML feed on? You would think it might be similar in size to what the commercial fisheries feed their fish and shrimp larvae? I'm on the fence as far as trying. I look at my ML tank and say for get it. There's no way I'm going to catch a specific female unless I tear the tank down. Once you spook them they all disapear.