Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8586  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 04 Nov 2019 15:29
Arnold wrote:They are hawaian pipipi nerite snails right? they are like other nerites and almost imposible to breed in captivity right?
It is actually Hawaiian Pipiwai snails from my research. Hard to obtain. Pipipi is so plentiful in the islands but dont survive in brackish tanks.

Why do you think they don't survive? Too much or too little salt? Or maybe they just can't survive in water only and need air?
Pipipi on left and Pipiwai shell on right. Pipiwai are surviving in my tank and are a few years old. Pipipi tend to go up above the water line then die off. I assume they want full salinity and/or stay out of water most of the time.
 #8587  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:How much are you guys paying for a ticket from Us to Hawaii?
Sometimes you can get it for $300 round trip!
 #8588  by opae ula related

opae ula related wrote:
Algae In Space wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 04 Nov 2019 15:29 It is actually Hawaiian Pipiwai snails from my research. Hard to obtain. Pipipi is so plentiful in the islands but dont survive in brackish tanks.

Why do you think they don't survive? Too much or too little salt? Or maybe they just can't survive in water only and need air?
Pipipi on left and Pipiwai shell on right. Pipiwai are surviving in my tank and are a few years old. Pipipi tend to go up above the water line then die off. I assume they want full salinity and/or stay out of water most of the time.
Also someone made a comment on youtube it is illegal to gather now.
 #8589  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 04 Nov 2019 23:07
Algae In Space wrote:
opae ula related wrote: 04 Nov 2019 15:29
It is actually Hawaiian Pipiwai snails from my research. Hard to obtain. Pipipi is so plentiful in the islands but dont survive in brackish tanks.

Yeah I thought so too! I googled it and it says they live on coast lines:
Although they’re also known as Nerites, most people in Hawaii call them pipipi, which means “small and close together” in Hawaiian. And appropriately so, as these half-inch snails usually spend their days crowded together in clusters. The ones you see on the rocks are most likely adults because after maturing in the ocean, they hike to the shoreline, where they eat and reproduce.
 #8590  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 04 Nov 2019 23:15
opae ula related wrote:
Algae In Space wrote:

Also someone made a comment on youtube it is illegal to gather now.

Yeah i guess the are getting scarce
 #8592  by Vorteil

I tried some years ago with the pipipi snails and all they would do is crawl pass the water line out of the tank. Could never keep them in my tanks. These were full salt tanks not brackish. It was strange they wouldn't stay.
 #8595  by Algae In Space

Vorteil wrote: 05 Nov 2019 02:57 I tried some years ago with the pipipi snails and all they would do is crawl pass the water line out of the tank. Could never keep them in my tanks. These were full salt tanks not brackish. It was strange they wouldn't stay.

It was the same with my dusky nerites.
 #8596  by opae ula related

Algae In Space wrote:
Algae In Space wrote:

Although they’re also known as Nerites, most people in Hawaii call them pipipi, which means “small and close together” in Hawaiian. And appropriately so, as these half-inch snails usually spend their days crowded together in clusters. The ones you see on the rocks are most likely adults because after maturing in the ocean, they hike to the shoreline, where they eat and reproduce.
Yup. Pipipi is plentiful on all islands. I am sure Pipiwai is on all islands but only saw them on the Big Island a few years back. Didnt see them this year when I went to a few spots.

#8597  by opae ula related

Vorteil wrote:I tried some years ago with the pipipi snails and all they would do is crawl pass the water line out of the tank. Could never keep them in my tanks. These were full salt tanks not brackish. It was strange they wouldn't stay.
Ok. Nothing to do with salinity of water then.
Last edited by opae ula related on 05 Nov 2019 17:05, edited 1 time in total.
 #8598  by Algae In Space

opae ula related wrote: 05 Nov 2019 17:03
Algae In Space wrote:

Yup. Pipipi is plentiful on all islands. I am sure Pipiwai is on all islands but only saw them on the Big Island a few years back. Didnt see them this year when I went to a few spots.

Woah! At first I thought that snail is in overdrive mode! :smile:
Turns out it's a hermit.