Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8679  by Dan

I bought my first Opae Ula a few months ago, after having success with a planted red cherry shrimp tank for a while before that. These guys are awesome little shrimp but I felt like I wanted to see some other life in the tank too, especially with the sand substrate. Bring on the MTS.

There are a few posts from Opae Ula keepers that show MTS can be put into the same tank, but I struggled to find good information on how to do it without harming the snails.

After some research I decided to try a small experiment and managed to acclimate 6 trumpet snails into my brackish water (1.012sg) in 1 week by slowly increasing the salinity by around 0.001-0.002sg a day.

I wrote a tutorial with this information to try and help out future Opae Ula & MTS keepers: Acclimating Malaysian Trumpet Snails to brackish water

My snails and shrimp have been happy tank mates for the past 3 months now and I'm still seeing tiny baby MTS crawling around.

#8680  by odin

Oh wow they are black snails! The ones found here in the UK are your typical cream/brown colour.

Just be aware how fast they breed lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #8681  by opae ula related

I remember when I had MTS, I just dumped them in with no acclimation. They survived so I think they are so hardy it isnt required but that was my experience.
 #8682  by odin

opae ula related wrote:I remember when I had MTS, I just dumped them in with no acclimation. They survived so I think they are so hardy it isnt required but that was my experience.
I tried that and they all died :(

#8683  by opae ula related

odin wrote:
opae ula related wrote:I remember when I had MTS, I just dumped them in with no acclimation. They survived so I think they are so hardy it isnt required but that was my experience.
I tried that and they all died :(

Interesting
 #8684  by odin

Proabably just bad luck on my part... speaking of bad luck I had a heater break between last night and Sunday.. Tom was 15deg c and al shrimp were very drowsy. I have just put in a platinum heater and will be upgrading all my heaters to these as they have no moving parts.

#8685  by opae ula related

odin wrote:Proabably just bad luck on my part... speaking of bad luck I had a heater break between last night and Sunday.. Tom was 15deg c and al shrimp were very drowsy. I have just put in a platinum heater and will be upgrading all my heaters to these as they have no moving parts.

Brrrrr. Ouch. No deaths right? Thanks for tip, need to research
 #8687  by odin

No I can see any dead but the tanks wildly over grown with macro algae and the berried ones are still carrying lol. Got lucky I suppose!

#8701  by CYNICALifornia

The MTS in my tank were stow-aways on some filter sponge I was using to help the initial cycling when I was setting up my tank.

I don't mind them. I like the diversity they offer.

There were more than 20 baby snails at first. I took to thinning the population by hand (relocating them). Their numbers seem to stabilize once the tank cycled and I introduced my shrimp.