Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8822  by nammibaun

I just upgraded my shrimp from a 1 gallon jar to a 3 gallon halfmoon tank with a light. I also was gifted ecospheres quite awhile ago. One of these became really clean with no algae remaining. So, i broke it open and put the 2 shrimp in with my tank after drip acclimating them. They've all been doing really well and seem a lot happier in the larger tank. A few days after I noticed a moult. I think this is a good sign?

But I noticed maybe 1 or 2 of the shrimp being more active than normal, swimming around quite a bit more and chasing other shrimp around. I have not fed them since putting them in the new tank. I'm not sure if this is breeding behavior or possible aggression?
Attachments:
Snapchat-1335812794.jpg
Snapchat-1335812794.jpg (507.67 KiB) Viewed 6500 times
20200207_103248.jpg
20200207_103248.jpg (1.46 MiB) Viewed 6500 times
 #8823  by odin

Welcome to the forum! That’s great about the ecosphere rescue, with regards the shrimps behaviour I’d say it’s mating because a female has moulted. Once the females moult they can receive the males sperm for a short amount of time so the males can sense this and frantically search for her.

Edit: by the way I love the rock layout in your tank :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #8825  by nammibaun

I'm so happy to hear that! I had a berried female long ago in the first jar I set up but no eggs ever hatched. Very disappointing.
Thank you so much!
 #8829  by opae ula related

Nice tank. Almost thought it was a full circle tank. Do you know if that manufacturer makes a full circle one?

Analogy. Molt = taking clothes off.
 #8831  by nammibaun

That manufacturer doesnt seem to make any but there are a few decent cylindrical tanks on amazon for decent prices 👍
 #8841  by odin

Any sign of berried females?