Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8882  by potion123456

Update 23 feb:
I added some plants and fauna i picked from an intertidal shore. Hope they will survive the brackish water. (This has no shrimp in it yet so no worries)Image

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

#8883  by opae ula related

potion123456 wrote:Update 23 feb:
I added some plants and fauna i picked from an intertidal shore. Hope they will survive the brackish water. (This has no shrimp in it yet so no worries)Image

Do you know the names of plants?
 #8885  by potion123456

No not really, but they are probably native to tropical shores around SEA.
If you notice in the tank there's this weird bug in the center. So far it looks healthy and surviving brackish waterImageImage

#8975  by potion123456

Update 16 march 2020:

Removed some of the dying plants and fauna. The tank has cleared up significantly and ammonia reading is 0. The shrimps are however, quite shy; I only see then roam 1 at a time if they do at all. (I put in 5)

Theres a weird centipede-like shrimp with long legs. Does anyone know if they pose any danger to the shrimps? They seem to just hop around and the shrimps don't seem bothered. But im afraid perhaps they have been hunting down the shrimps and thats why i dont see them so infrequently now...

I on my lights about 12 hours a day to promote algae growth on rocks. But all i get is hair algae growth. How do i promote the lush turf of algae on rocks like other people?

Thanks! Hope to hear from yall :)
Even if you don't know what's going on I hope yall enjoy the pics and learn from the journey im going through ImageImageImageImageImageImage

#8979  by tzg

i ever experienced BBA after i added seachem flourish, no matter how long i off the lights, the hair algae just grew again when the lights were on, i gave up the project in the end and scraped the tank n rock.
 #8980  by Vorteil

Why go through all the trouble with this tank? It would be safer & easier to just start all over. Toss everything except the tank. There's too many issues with the substrate and rocks. There's no way to clean it well.
 #8981  by odin

Is that thing a dragonfly lavae or a mayfly larvae? If so they eat shrimp if I recall.

Edit: looking at google is doesn’t look like a mayfly or dragonfly so I’m not sure lol!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #9020  by odin

Any news? Is that thing still alive?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
 #9023  by potion123456

Nope it died a few days ago :(
Anyways heres an update...
Ive added a nerite and it seems pretty happy munching away every day
My shrimps are nowhere to be seen though :(

The hair algae situation seems to be getting out of hand. It used to stay in a clump that is easily removable but now it's just growing everywhere! I feel like if i restart the tank it'll waste everything so ill just start a new one some day next week and let this one sit as it is for as long as possible Image