Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #8891  by Owlbit

I had my tiger nerite for maybe 7 months now and I am worried about him (maybe her, but will just say him for consistency). Doesn't seem old to me, but I also don't know how old he was when I got him. He isn't eating as well the past month as he has previously. I used to see lots of teeth tracks all over the glass, but now there is more algae biofilm build up than normal. His poop is light green/brown sloppy and loose (yeah gross, but don't know how else to explain it). His activity is also very little. Should I worry that he is dying or getting old or maybe sick? If he does die, I am worried that he would pollute my 2.5g tank. Right now I don't see him at all, which is why I wrote this post. Normally he is out and about, but lately he has been hiding under his cubes (fave spot) instead of being on the glass or rocks cruising. Should I rehome him to a tank he is less likely to cause a crash in and acclimate one of my tiger nerite snails I have in my freshwater tank?
 #8894  by odin

I agree, if you don’t have a huge tank with lots of macro algae I would remove him before he dies somwhere.
 #8897  by Owlbit

Yeah, no macros. Just some "moss balls" for plants. I search all over the tank last night and he had to be somewhere in the back in the rocks because I couldn't find him. This morning he is back in his favorite place under the cube rocks. I guess I will have to find a retirement situation for him.

Has anyone else had to remove their nerite due to sickness or age? How do you decide when it is time? Especially when it comes to smaller tanks. So sad that their lifespan doesn't seem very long. I got so attached to him.
 #8901  by Owlbit

My sad snail. He went towards the lower part of the glass nearby, but went back under the rock. Something is just not right with him. The shrimps are red and active as normal.
snail_ 20200228_thumb.jpg
snail_ 20200228_thumb.jpg (127.3 KiB) Viewed 7300 times
 #8902  by Bill2020

Agree try to find and remove him ASAP. My nerite died in a freshwater planted 3 gal and polluted tank; I couldn't find him either. Plants all died but amazingly my betta lived! Lots of water changes daily for 1-2 weeks....
 #8905  by Owlbit

opae ula related wrote:Fyi, if it does die, the Opae ula will eat him up in no time.
Last time I had a horned nerite die in the tank I had a huge issue with tank stability. And that was a much smaller young nerite. This weekend I will take him out and assimilate back to freshwater. Which leaves me wondering, do I want another nerite to replace him or do I want to consider something else. It also makes me sad I don't have plants in this tank. My freshwater future blue bolt tank is so pretty with the plants in comparison lol.
 #8907  by opae ula related

Owlbit wrote:
opae ula related wrote:Fyi, if it does die, the Opae ula will eat him up in no time.
Last time I had a horned nerite die in the tank I had a huge issue with tank stability. And that was a much smaller young nerite. This weekend I will take him out and assimilate back to freshwater. Which leaves me wondering, do I want another nerite to replace him or do I want to consider something else. It also makes me sad I don't have plants in this tank. My freshwater future blue bolt tank is so pretty with the plants in comparison lol.
Ok. I should of said if you had 100+ Opae ula. I previously had dwarf hermit crabs that died and it was eaten up also with no issues.

I know what you mean with plants. I envy.

#8911  by odin

Yup if you have a large tank with a lot of Opae they will eat up the dead snail, my breeding tank it too big to hunt for snails that may of died, plus I don’t know how many are ok of the batch I put in as they don’t all come out in the open at the same time to count them. Small tanks though can be an issue with dead snails.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro