Opaeula.co.uk

A dedicated forum and online store for the Opae ula shrimp! 

This section is to discuss anything Opae ula shrimp and brackish water related. e.g Nerite snails, algae etc..
 #9381  by Johnny Max

Shrimp are ordered and I can't find my hydrometer. I have a huge bag (some gone) of Instant Ocean Salt. It says use half cup salt per gallon. I guess that would be for a reef aquarium with a gravity of 1.020-1.025. So if I used half that would it put me in the ballpark?
 #9382  by odin

Yup that would be fine, just do 50%. :wink:
 #9386  by Kivyee

And what opae ula related said - hopefully your shrimp are not arriving too soon - you need time for the tank to cycle and the biofilm/algae to grow so the upae ula have something to eat!
 #9387  by Johnny Max

I don't worry about cycling anymore. I just add the aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which breakdown waste organics, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
I use "Seachem Stability." It is a tank stabilization system for newly setup marine aquariums. It establishes your bio-filter, or in my case the bacteria on my substrate. My tank is ready to go.

Oh, and Vorteil included some freeze dried spirulina as a started food.
Thanks for the concern. :grin:
 #9388  by Johnny Max

Kivyee wrote: 23 Sep 2020 19:41 I just did the initial calculation and mixed enough salt by weight to get to 1.01SG, https://www.marinedepot.com/salt-mix-calculator
Marked a line on the tank and top off with distilled water every week or two.
It's been over a year and shrimps are constantly berried so they are pretty happy :cool:
Thanks, I mixed 1/2 cup per gallon.
I used the salt calculator. It said 0.18 lbs per gallon.
I will measure a 1/2 cup of salt and see how close I am.
Thanks.
I will adjust if I need to.
 #9390  by Kivyee

Johnny Max wrote: 23 Sep 2020 20:31 I don't worry about cycling anymore. I just add the aerobic, anaerobic, and facultative bacteria which breakdown waste organics, ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate.
Well, the fish-in cycle process with stability involves multiple water changes, co-dosing with seachem prime and still takes 7 days...to be fair, the opae ula will produce much less waste so it shouldn't be as big of a production to get the cycle going, but just something to keep in mind - these products are not magic bullets that work instantly.
 #9393  by Johnny Max

Kivyee wrote: 24 Sep 2020 04:13 Well, the fish-in cycle process with stability involves multiple water changes, co-dosing with seachem prime and still takes 7 days...to be fair, the opae ula will produce much less waste so it shouldn't be as big of a production to get the cycle going, but just something to keep in mind - these products are not magic bullets that work instantly.

It will be 7 days at least. I did add a pinch of food at the beginning to get it going too.
 #9394  by odin

What size is your tank? if its pretty big and you only have a few shrimp i woulnt worry too much, what sort of fresh water shrimp did you keep before?